Chapter 8 - Hi

By mid-morning, plans are made for who travels with whom back to the boys' hometown. James knowingly takes Aaron and Brooklyn since Alex is riding with him. James doesn't want any unnecessary tension between Josh and Alex. Emily still has the sensation that something is off ever since she met Alex.

Gwen begins to regain the rest of her senses gradually. She recuperates from the concussion sustained from the storm. She's excited to get going on the first family vacation as a distraction from everything she's lost.

In the back seat, Emily can't shake this sensation that something isn't right. She knows there's always been more than her dad hasn't told her. In the back of her mind, there's a voice screaming to wanna put something to rest. She does her best to ignore it and gives the impression she's thrilled to be around her dad.

While they lead the drive back home along Ohio State Route 35, there are already two other family members waiting to surprise them. Audrey and Sara have taken it upon themselves to make an unexpected trip early moving home.

"Hey Audrey, let's step outside to talk for a minute," Momma tells her with a single wave towards the kitchen.

"Right behind ya, mom."

The two of them sit on the old wooden bench-style seats at the picnic table on the deck. Momma Cline already has a pitcher of sun tea with a couple of plastic cups.

"I don't want you to feel like you are running me out of this house. I'm happy to have you home. Your uncle's house needs some major T.L.C. since he passed last year. That house has been in the family since your great-great-grandfather built it. Just let the contractors finish up the work here, and it's yours clean and clear." She reminds Audrey with a smile and her hand over her daughters for comfort.

"It just feels weird, mom. You know, I always thought I was meant for something greater than just becoming a teacher for future nurses, you know? I wanted to be on a medical team that made a discovery that cured a disease or made a significant medical breakthrough." Audrey says, sounding a bit deflated in her voice.

"Oh, my sweet girl, you did so much right! You're an amazing mother, and you worked yourself to the bone to barely keep your head above water with that lazy piece of trash you married. He showed us all a side of himself we never expected. Audrey, look at you still standing strong and able to find a way through the black of night."

All Audrey can do is smile. A tiny sliver within herself feels honored by her mother's remarks.

They sit and chit-chat for nearly an hour. It's not until they hear brakes slightly squeaking in the driveway that they get up. By the time they make their way into the living room, James, Brooklyn, and Aaron walk through the door.

"Hi, mom," James says, extending his arms to hug his mother.

She's overcome with joy seeing her only biological son. Once her arms are locked around his shoulders and refuses to let go. She can't believe how much he's changed from the punk skater teenager to the greased back hair to accompany his slender stature with a slight potbelly.

"How I've missed y'all since you left home!" She whispers in his ear with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Unbeknownst to her, there's someone else who snuck into the house. Off by the door standing behind Gwen and Emily, Josh stands there in silence, waiting patiently for Momma Cline to open her eyes.

After James can finally pry her away from the motherly death hug, Josh makes his presence known.

"How about one for me?" He asks right before she wipes her eyes.

A gasp and hands over her mouth say it all. She stands there in shock. The sight of the young man she took into her home, finally making his return, is overwhelming. Josh smiles, making his way by the kids and James. He stops in front of Momma Cline. She waits to accept that he's there in front of her.