Chapter 7 - No Returning Home

The sun pierces through the blinds and brings Josh out of his semi rest. Gingerly he lifts his heavy eyelids to see Gwen channel surfing.

"Hey there, pretty lady, you're finally awake." He greets her as he wiggles in the chair.

"Yup, been up for a little while now. You looked too peaceful to bother. I know all this had to have taken its toll on you. James and Alex were in here a little bit ago, and they left to go pick up breakfast. Kids are fine, and they're trying to relax." She mentions filling Josh in on what's happened during his thousand-yard stare when he was resting in the chair.

They sit there together, chatting as the girls watching from the corner of the door. They hope that things will align to bring their parents back together.

Aaron, on the other hand, still wants to separate from his mother to live with Paul. Even after seeing him hit his twin sister, he feels his loyalty to his step-father. Every time he replays that day in his mind, he becomes more confused about why he wants to remain in Paul's life.

It's a struggle that sends him into a path of confusion.

It's not until the girl's giggle when they see Gwen and Josh nearly kiss. They remain unnoticed until Gwen waves for them to come into her room once they get busted by the door.

"My girls! Oh, Brooky, baby, your head. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, mom, I'm fine; I'm feeling better than I did last night at least," Brooklyn says with her hand over her wound.

"Ah, my poor sweet Emily, your wrist. Is it broken, sweetheart?" Gwen asks, reaching out to gently take it in her hand, kissing the air cast.

"No, ma'am, it's just a fracture, that's all. They set it before they put me in this thing."

Josh gives Gwen a peck on the cheek before talking to Aaron one on one.

"Knock-knock," he mentions entering the room.

"Hey, Pop."

Josh takes a seat across from Aaron, giving him a soft, easy look.

"I know we haven't been on the best of terms, and I take full ownership over that. All I can do is say that I am sorry, son. It may not have always seemed like it, but I love you, kiddo. You're my kid, and hell, all I can do is ask for a chance to make it up to you in time."

Aaron turns his head taking his father's words to heart. The anger that once controlled him now intertwines with guilt and confusion. He wipes away a tear before he responds.

"It's not like I hate you, Pop, but I just, you know, don't know who you are really. I mean, other than my looks, I don't know what all we have in common." Aaron replies with his head held low.

Out of nowhere, a subject comes across Josh's mind that instantly creates an entirely new connection.

"What about cars? I'm a huge car guy, always have been. My first was this badass Probe GT that was turbocharged, and it was a sweet ride. I've been restoring an old muscle car when I get the chance."

In that instant, Aaron's eyes light up with that as a shared interest.

"Then you'd like my car! It's a Mazda RX-7, and it's awesome!"

Josh nods in approval over his son's car. For a while, they sit back discussing cars as Josh learns of his son's dream car.

"You want a Toyota Supra. That's a pretty impressive car, son. Still not as good as my 3000GT but still a nice ride."

All Aaron can do is laugh while giving his father a hard time.

"If I had that ride, all you'd see would be my taillights, old man."