Chapter Fifty-Three | Biting Down

Start from the beginning

"What is it?"

"Empress Dowager is pushing to introduce new legislation that will let her be the head of state. She has been ambitiously gathering power in the parliament, so she can probably make them approve her as the legislation is announced," Jaehyun utters. "Some of the ministers on our side are already hesitant. Empress Dowager will probably not keep you once she obtains popularity through you, so it would be optimal for you to think of a plan of action as soon as possible, Your Majesty."

"No, I need some more time." Yeoreum shuts her eyes. "Nara will transfer you the money to settle them, be generous."

"Yes, that will probably be effective to some, but still, should we threaten them? Some of their weak spots are in my control, so—"

"No," Yeoreum says sternly. "Well, try your best to avoid that as much as possible, but if they are stubborn, do whatever you need to do."

Jaehyun bows. "Yes, Your Majesty."

Yeoreum plays another round of mahjong and leaves after helping Mrs Zhao win a game. She didn't study mahjong to win Mrs Zhao in her game. She did it to leave an impression.

The car steadily drives through the Castle doors that casts a large, tenebrous dimness over Yeoreum's tightly shut eyes, concealing the fatigue that webs across her pupils. The soldiers' quiet greeting tugs her heavy eyelids open. She briefly examines their solemn bows and shuts the curtains.

"Drive straight to Pearl Palace. I do not want to walk," Yeoreum says, her voice slightly croaky.

The driver nods. "Yes, Your Majesty."

As soon as the car stops, the door on Yeoreum's side gets wrenched open from the outside, startling Nara into reaching for the security pager.

Assistant Gyo's face stiffens at Nara's instinctive reaction. She grabs Nara's shoulders and throws Nara to the ground.

The early winter night has already etched a piercing coldness into the concrete, ripping a groan out of Nara.

Yeoreum folds her lips, trying to stop anger from quickening her heartbeat.

"Assistant Gyo, is there something wrong?"

Assistant Gyo snarls, "Where did you go?"

"I went out to have coffee with some ladies. Her Highness permitted me to do that," Yeoreum says evenly.

A mocking smile twitches at Assitant Gyo's lips. "But Her Highness does not recall doing that now."

Yeoreum gulps as she realises her bet was wrong. This round of Yunhee's random kindness is a trap. She bows her head, conforming to her loss.

"I will go and apologise to Her Majesty now."

"No. Her Highness is busy right now," Assistant Gyo says instantly. "Go over during dinner time tomorrow."

"Yes, Assistant Gyo," Yeoreum utters. She lowers her voice to conceal the tremor in it. "Thank you for informing me."

Assistant Gyo glares at Yeoreum like she is a monster before she stalks away with a vexed tsk.

Yeoreum raises her head, and the obedience in her eyes morphs into a cloud of resentment. She rushes to help Nara up, holding Nara's hand as tightly as she can. The fog-veiled moon tugs their staggering shadows into one feeble figure that stretches all the way to the threshold.

"Don't worry," Yeoreum utters. "I can take care of myself. You can rest now."

"No, Your Majesty. I am fine."