Chapter 48- To Kentucky in a Blizzard?

Life continued as our new normal for the next several months. Bridget was getting bigger every day and the babies and their momma was doing great. It’s the week before Thanksgiving and we have pulled the kids out of school week early to go to our lake house in Kentucky for the holiday.

“Have you got everything packed?” I asked Bridget.

“Yes, Luke,” Bridget answered, “Would you please calm down?”

“I can’t calm down. I don’t want to be caught in the middle of this blizzard they are calling for,” I informed her.

“Luke, we will be fine,” Bridget tried to comfort me.

“There is a blizzard coming in spanning from northern Indy to Nashville. Bridget, we need to be at the lake by the time it hits,” I voiced my concern.

“Please just calm down. The last thing any of us need is for you to be a nervous wreck all the way home,” Bridget informed me.

“Momma!” Kenzie yelled from the top of the stairs, “I can’t find my iPod!”

“It’s in the truck already! You left it on the table!” I yelled at her.

“That was thoughtful,” Bridget said to me.

“Well, I don’t want to hear her complaining the entire way because she has to listen to what we want to,” I informed Bridget to my ulterior motives.

Bridget just laughed at me as I rounded up the boys and headed towards the truck. I got the boys loaded in and was waiting for Bridget and Kenzie to come on.

“Kenzie! Let’s go!” Bridget yelled as she stood at the side door of Redbird.

“Where’s my iPod?” Kenzie asked me as she bopped out the door in front of her momma.

“It’s right here,” I said as I handed it to her before hollering at Bridget, “Don’t forget to set the alarm!”

“I’ve got this!” Bridget hollered back at me while closing the door and walking towards me.

“Put your coat on! It’s freezing out here!” I shouted at my wife.

“Luke, it’s like ten feet from the house to the truck. And it’s only like 40 degrees out here. I’ve got a hoodie on. I’m used to colder weather, unlike you,” Bridget informed me.

“I don’t care! I don’t want you to get sick!” I told her as she climbed into the passenger seat.

“Let’s just go,” Bridget told me as I put the truck into drive and started down the long, winding driveway.

It was a matter of minutes that we were on 65 heading towards Kentucky. The temperature dropped drastically by the time we reached the state line and snow had started to fall heavily. The boys were sleeping, as they always did on road trips, and Kenzie was rocking out to something while Bridget and I were listening to local radio in Kentucky to keep up with this storm.

“The roads are starting to get slick,” I told Bridget.

“Is the four wheel drive kicked in?” Bridget asked me.

“Yes, but we are still sliding around,” I informed her.

“Are you okay to drive the rest of the way?” Bridget asked me.

“You’re not driving,” I told her as I crept down the road.

“Luke, let’s be serious about this. I grew up with weather like this. I was Kenzie’s age when I first learned to drive and I was 16 when Daddy taught me to drive in snow,” Bridget said, “Just how much did you drive in growing up in South Georgia? The first time you ever drove in snow you were how old? 28? And normally you won’t leave the house if it starts snowing.”