mission to the wave

(Kikyo POV:)

I woke up to crying in the middle of the night. I get up and make my way to Naru's room. I get to his room, and I hear crying and whimpers. 'Another nightmare'.

I reach out with my hand looking for Naruto's bed. I found the edge, and sat down. I find Naru's shoulder, and use it as a reference point and start rubbing his back. I knew what he had nightmares of, he was dreaming of the looks, the stares, and the words that were always in whispers. In the day he was the fearless idiot I always looked up to, but when he was asleep that when the darkness of his past always seemed to get him.

I hummed softly the beginning of a song that had been stuck in my head. I softly sang,

"Finally, you given me a reason to be strong. and we'll stand hand in hand till the end."

I repeated it several more times till I heard the word 'ramen' from him. I knew then he was okay. I got back up and went to my room to get dressed. When I was in my ninja gear, I grabbed a bottle of water, and made my way to training ground 7.

Team 7 had been together for weeks, and by this point I know that this team was always meant to break. It could've been something less catastrophic than Sasuke leaving for Orochimaru, but something would've had to give. It was just sad that it was Sasuke leaving the village.

I started my training. Ten laps around the training grounds, 10 sit ups, 20 push ups, then anything else I can think of. Finally I opened the bottled water and put it on the ground. Slowly I started to practice waterbending. I pull it up and out of the bottle. Guiding the water through the air. I started practicing a move I saw in my last life. I pulled the water into a ring around me, pulled it up, froze it, then sent it into a tree. I smiled, and now I felt the warmth of the sun on my face.

I melted the ice, and funneled the water back into the bottle. I took a drink, and sat down under a tree, not the one now riddled with holes. I started to meditate, if I wanted to learn air bending, or a sage mode, I needed to get used to sitting still and meditating. I breathed in and out. Focused on my breathing, then transferred my attention to sensing my surroundings. I felt the trees around the training ground, then the divot where there was a stream, the buildings, and the people that were going on with their business.

Even from the training ground I could feel my brother. Naruto was running to the training ground, his excitement was palpable. Now that we were on a team together we were closer than ever.

Sakura was closer, walking at a relaxed pace. Me and her had begun a friendship over the weeks. She had finally realized that I liked someone else other then Sasuke. From that point on she's been trying to get me to tell her who it is, but of course how could I? "Well Sakura, I never actually met him. But I love him because of who he would be in his later life." that would never work.

In between my teammates was Sasuke. I had been trying to get close to him, to try and help in some way, but to be honest I always preferred how he turned out in the future. But now he was just a dick, obsessed with killing Itachi, my role model. What was I supposed to do around him? On one hand I knew whatever I did, nothing would ever change what he would become. On the other hand, I knew what he needed was to have a friend. Naruto was rubbing off on me because the more I thought of it the more I became determined to try and help him, and if I did fail I would bring him back with my brother.

I stood up to meet them. I heard a shriek. " what the hell happened to that tree?"

"Oh yeah, ask the blind girl." I snarked.

"Oh.. right sorry Kikyo. I forgot you were you know." Sakura sounded sad, and embarrassed.

"If only I could forget such a small point.'' I say dryly, then the moment of silence was tense. "It's okay," I say to let her know that it was a joke, if only just.