three

I'm scrubbing at my wet hair with one of the many soft, white towels in my new bathroom when I hear a loud laugh cut through the air

"He seriously didn't piece it together?"

I scowl, already coming to the conclusion that the 'he' being ridiculed is me. I knew that sooner or later Imogen would show up and give me shit for not figuring out that Junie and Juniper were the same person. Especially after I met the girl once upon a time. But, what can I say? Seven years did great things for her, and she was already angel-faced back then. 

And now she's got an angel's body to go with that face, I can't help but think. Drop dead gorgeous she may be, but if I was to live with her, even if it's for a short while, just to appease Gen, I can't mess shit up by fucking around.

I finish drying my hair and toss on some clothes before entering the living room where Juniper and Imogen were side by side on the sofa, having a very animate and very giggly conversation. Geez, were they always like this? What could they possibly have to talk about after less than twenty four hours of separation? 

Then again, I don't know a thing about what it's like to have friends anymore. Three years ago, they all either turned on me to save their social status or were scared off by my sudden anger issues. Good riddance, is what I think; real friends wouldn't have scattered away like that, so they can go fuck themselves.

"Morning," I mutter, snagging a chilled water bottle from the fridge and chugging it. 

Imogen turns to me and grins, "Hey, dumbass. Junie— oh, I mean, Juniper was just telling me how you thought I dumped you at a house with some random blonde girl. How the hell did you not realize she was the best friend I was talking about?"

I roll my eyes, "You could've told me that little tidbit of information yesterday."

She laughs and goes back to talking to her pretty blonde best friend who's watches me silently. She twisted my arm into letting her give me a tour of the city despite my protests and we're supposed to be leaving pretty soon. 

Juniper gives me an apologetic glance, "I would've made us breakfast but I'm taking you out. To know a city, you have to eat your way through it." If that's the case, then I'm in.

Gen raises an eyebrow at the last sentence, "That's literally the same exact thing you told me when we first moved here." 

"Yeah, and look who you are now— a total city girl! You can practically fish out the tiny, underrated sushi restaurants better than I can."

Gen smiles at that and her phone suddenly pipes up with a ding. She slips out her phone from her purse and smirks down at what she sees. "I'll see you guys later. I have business to attend."

Juniper snorts at 'business' but I'm too surprised to acknowledge that bit. "You're not coming with us?" Gen's too busy texting to respond so I look over at her friend, who's been awfully quiet this morning, for an explanation. She averts eyes, clearing her throat, "That's exactly what I asked her earlier."