Chapter two: Rapunzel the querky

I own none of these characters or the ideas of the settings. They all belong to Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks.

The gravel of the road shook under Rapunzel's feet. A flower-shaped freshener dangled in the air from the clean, rearview mirror.

"How was the library?" Gothel asked, a tinge of mothers worry warming her voice. Her Frizzy, dark, hair was let loose around her shoulders. A deep scarlet headscarf wrapped around her head. Her face was beautiful, young. She could've been mistaken for Rapunzels much older, and mature, step-sister,instead of her mother.

"Mmm, Okay." Rapunzel sighed. "My lab partner's Merida Dunbroch. She's calmer than I expected her to be."

They ran into a red stoplight. "Calmer? What about nicer?" Gothel replied.

"Well, yeah. I guess she's kind of nice, too." She tugged on a longer strand of blonde hair, braiding it quickly between her slim fingers. A faint glow of green reflected across her face. The car started moving, again.

"Well, just be careful. You never know what anyone is capable of." She reminded Rapunzel. She was simply an overly protective mother, and must've had a good reason for being one, too. "Who knows, this Merida girl might be some kind of teenage serial killer." Gothel joked, giggling to herself. Rapunzel laughed.

"So, mom...." Rapunzel trailed off, to sure, to excited, to finish her sentence.

"Yes, darling?"

"I wanted to talk to you about a field trip coming up. It's in a week."

Gothel just nodded. Rapunzel could already see the look on her mom's face creeping. It was the look of motherly worry.

"We're going to Europe! Somewhere in Germany, I think. I'm German, right?" Gothel, focusing quietly on the road, nodded.

Rapunzel continued. "Yeah! And I heard they do this awesome thing like they used to do in the old days, where we all get into little boats and watch lanterns float up into the sky! It just sounds so amazing!" She squealed. "So, what do you think?"

Gothel paused. Rapunzel could already tell what the answer was going to be, by the look in her grey eyes. She looked down at her hands.

"Flower," Gothel started, but Rapunzel interrupted.

" You never let me go anywhere new." She found herself saying, softly.