Chapter 16

Amon twisted one Equalist midair, sending him bending and contorting like a marionette. The Equalist let out a horrified scream and Korra could hear bones crunching as Amon twisted him further before tossing him to the ground.

"What? Amon?!" Another Equalist shouted, backing up.

"I'm disappointed in you all," Amon said. "No matter."

The Equalists ran towards him, but Amon froze them in their spots and forced them to their knees. He then moved his leg a certain way, breaking the ground beneath them and raising it up in a cage-like structure. He then boxed them in using another slab and smashed the two Equalists. Korra shuddered as she watched him break the stone away and bend their blood out, turning it to shards and tossing it at the other Equalists. One ran forward to try and chi-block him, but Amon fire bended him. The Equalist let out a scream as he tried to put the fire out.

Amon grabbed the Equalist midair and rammed him to the ground before sending a large spike up from the ground, impaling him from behind.

Amon stood in the middle of the arena, the corpses of the Equalists surrounding him. Korra knew that she couldn't expose her partnership with him, so she stayed down.

Amon vanished in a burst of smoke as suddenly as he came.

Korra jumped up from behind the chairs and ran towards the hostages, doing her best to free them. "Avatar Korra! Thank you!" One of them shouted through tears.

"Just doing my job," Korra replied. She let her eyes glance at the dead bodies, realizing just how different she and Amon were when it came to tactics.

"Was that really Amon?" One of the hostages asked as she rubbed her arms in fear.

Korra furrowed her brows for a moment. She looked over at the bodies again and said, "Yes."

...

Tarlok could see Lin passing by his office door. "How's your day been?"

"Exhilarating," Lin replied, a flat expression on her face. "You got a minute?"

"I've got a few," Tarlok replied, nodding.

Lin closed the door behind her. "Amon. We need to talk about that guy."

"What's there to talk about? He's irrelevant now."

"I wouldn't say so. The Earth Kingdom sent us a message saying that Korra and Amon are wanted for the murder of the Earth Queen. And today...Amon showed up to stop the Equalist terrorists. I'm starting to think that Korra isn't telling us something."

"Like what? Amon works with her now? It's possible."

"I think it's more than possible."

"But why does it matter, Lin?"

Lin let out a loud scoff. "Really? Why does it matter, Tarlok? If it's true that Korra and Amon are partners now, it's possible that they did really kill the Earth Queen. What if Korra's been helping him this whole time without us knowing?"

"I think that's a stretch, Lin," Tarlok replied.

"You know Amon and Korra, don't you? Is it really impossible?"

"I never claimed it to be impossible, Lin," Tarlok ran a hand through his hair as he spoke. "But knowing Korra makes me think that she and Amon aren't going to be buddies anytime soon."

"Well I need to respond to the Earth Kingdom. Otherwise it'll be ugly."

"I'll deal with Korra. You just focus your efforts on keeping this place safe."