Home

This is the 3rd Book in a 3 part series of short stories. Be sure to check out Book 1-Toxic to find the beginning of this series.

After I left New Orleans I settled in a town in the mountains of North Carolina

After I left New Orleans I settled in a town in the mountains of North Carolina. I wanted something that was off the grid to help with my paranoia and I found this perfect. I loved the way the leaves would change colors in the fall and although the summers were humid, the other seasons were perfect. The winter would bring snow and the spring such beautiful flowers, and smells.  

I had really settled into vampirism, though looking back I am ashamed of how long it took me to really deal with my emotions and the change in my life. It had been fours years since I packed up and left. Leaving behind my friends, those that had really becoming my family. Once I settled in here I really kept to myself. I mean there was David the butcher, Clarice from the hospital, Jeannie from the rental company, but this were all people I compelled to make sure I could maintain my lifestyle they weren't friends. The truth was I didn't know how to make friends as a vampire because I didn't want to lie and I didn't want to tell the truth. I thought about making my own little army of vampires, but then I didn't know how to see if people wanted to be a vampire or not and then I thought about Klaus's story and his hybrid army and I decided it against. I guess I was just going to be fated to be alone for eternity. I spend most of my time in books, lost to the fantasy of another life although I did embrace the one I currently had there were things missing. Like romance, sure there were ways to experience pleasure alone- nothing a good vibrator couldn't solve, but there was nothing to replace the physical touch of a man or the laughter of a companion. I hadn't had either since him.

It was impossible not to think about him for so many different reason. 1) Regret- When you have truly wronged someone you feel it inside and that feeling doesn't leave you until you make amends, except that wasn't possible in our situation so I was just left with that yucky feeling in my stomach. 2) Longing- When you desire someone or something you can't have you feel a tightness in your chest and that empty feeling. I fucking love Klaus Mikaelson and there was no denying that to the hollowness in my heart. 3) Hope- I kept in touch with both Hayley and Davina, the only two from my old life, who had both promised on everything that they wouldn't tell not a soul. The pictures of Hope growing up and the stories Hayley would tell me reminded me so much of Klaus. I wanted to talk to Hope, but I knew that I couldn't burden her with my secret and I wouldn't do anything to cause a wedge between a father and a daughter, so I had no choice, but to quell those desires and appreciate at least knowing about her life, but I missed her a lot. 

Hayley had told me once that Klaus tried to find me, he enlisted Freya to try and locate me and he had planned on kidnapping me. We both laughed thinking he had probably watched some Disney movie with Hope and got the idea. Luckily, Davina had cloaked me and neither her nor Hayley knew my location so there was no way he could find me, not unless I wanted to be found. It was better anyway, Aurora was still at large and according to Hayley Klaus never really bothered pursuing it, which left a bitter taste in my mouth and lingering doubts on why. Davina kept me abreast on Marcel, Vincent, and Josh and Hayley on the Mikaelsons. It stung to hear, but it hurt worse not too. I checked on Travis once and he had eventually married and started a family, it was a bittersweet thing to learn.  

Another year had passed of the same lifestyle and time moved differently when you were no longer human. Slower almost, and there was a sense of dread to the prospect of eternity because the days didn't seem to matter as much when you had an endless amount of them. I went outside to chop some wood and feed the deer, for some reason they were both two of my favorite things to do. When I came inside I had a missed call. It was from the burner phone that Hayley used to contact me. We use to laugh about it saying that Elijah was going to think she was cheating on him if he ever found it, but I figured she had probably told Elijah. There was really nothing that those two kept from each other once they got married. Besides, Elijah wouldn't divulge that to Klaus he would know Klaus and I weren't the best thing for each other. Elijah always wanted his brother's redemption and you can't have that when you are in an unhealthy relationship.  Not that Klaus and I were ever really in a relationship per se. 

I dialed the number back and she answered on the first ring. "Cami, you have to come home. I need your help." The sheer panic in her voice alerted me right away and chills ran down my spine. I dropped the logs I had just cut and they went tumbling to the floor. "What is it Hayley?" 

"We were attacked, there has been some complications and I could really use my best friend and Hope could use her godmother, can you come home?"  When Hayley says that my eyes well with tears matching the ones I heard over the phone. "What about Klaus?" As much as I want to help her I am not sure how to face him and if he would even want me to help. "Aurora has him" she barely whispered, but with my vampire hearing I caught it. I knew the way she said that it was against his will so I packed a bag like I did 5 years ago and I headed out the door. I headed home.