Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Taylor's pov

I walk in the bakery at just a corner from Alwyn's Business and push through the wooden doors. Step into the embrace of the warmth of the bread shop, my eyes meet a sight of a cheerful staff.

"Welcome to Meredith's Bakery!" She cheers in a high-pitched voice.

I return a smile and cannot help my eyes from staring at the fancy fruit pies on the display. I look away as soon as I notice the price of the pies. There is no way I would spend much money on a little pie when I'm a broke single mother. I let out an inaudible sigh and order the cheapest loaf of bread and leave the shop immediately so I won't be late for work.

~

As I enter the giant glass clear doors, the lobby is enormous. Men in shiny neat suits and women in heels and smart outfits march towards the elevator area with either a briefcase or a cup of coffee in hand. If you told me a year ago while I was working as a barista in a coffee shop right opposite my small cosy house I would work in one of the world's top-notch companies, I would believe you are joking and must have hit your head.

"Hey, I'm Taylor Swift and today is my first day here as an assistant. Would you mind checking for me where I'll be working?" I rush to the counter where two employees are sitting there and put a smile to hide my nervousness underneath as I ask. They both coincidentally look up at the exact moment and nod and start typing on their laptops.

A minute later, one lady speaks, "you are the assistant Mrs Alwyn asked for. She is not here yet. You can sit at the sofas and wait for her. We aren't sure who exactly you will work for... and good luck with your first day!" She points to the nicely polished couches on the left. I nod in return and walk to the couch. Gosh, the couches are so comfortable!

Not long later, a thin woman in glamorous designer clothes enters the doors as employees around greet her with a nod. The lady who asked me to wait at the couch goes up to her and whispers something into the woman's ear. The woman turns her direction towards me and welcomes me with a generous grin. I stand up and greet her the same way the others did earlier.

"You must be Taylor, I'm Mrs Alwyn, my son is the CEO here. Follow me! I'll show you around." I follow her just like she asked me to. She seems like a friendly person...

The two ladies from the counter face each other, confused as lines between their eyebrows appear.

"Mrs Alwyn, we can show her-" They offer since I believe it is queer that such person with a prominent position would volunteer to do their job.

"Nah, it's fine, I'll do." Mrs Alwyn waves her hand in denial of the offer. She places her hand on my shoulder as if I am some old friend of hers like we have known each other for decades and walk towards the elevators.

We enter the elevator, as I step inside the 'box', the shiny mirrors on the three walls reflect my appearance, Mrs Alwyn presses the floor buttons and starts speaking again.

"Well, Taylor, I want you to be my son, Joe's assistant. He is literally 'married to his job'. As a mother, it is hard to see the stress he has been dealing, so I hope you can help him a bit..." The elevator arrives at the floor and she pushes open the heavy glass doors and doors, and at last, we arrive at the door with "CEO - Joseph Alwyn"

"...Joe is cold to others and sometimes he might get frightening and mean, so I apologise before that happens. Taylor, you seem like a decent woman-" She chuckles a bit as she talks and I smile at her, she's such a lovely mother, that Joe guy must be really lucky. My smile faints as soon as a loud voice interrupts.