24

Apologies & Goodbyes

"She called off your engagement."

If there's one last thing that Haechan can't do, it's believing that his engagement with Saemi has been cancelled.

He can't believe it. He really can't.

He has lost Saemi. And not just his fiancée, not just his childhood friend, but the one that he's gotten used to being with.

The one he fell for.

In trying so hard not to lose her, he ended up doing just that.

He had never felt so hopeless before, not until he learned the news.

He thinks, that's how death feels like. He feels broken, empty, lifeless.

He's never felt this way before, and he can't believe all it would take is an engagement that has been called off. An engagement that he didn't want in the first place, but ended up being desperate for the person he's engaged with.

Or should he say 'was' engaged with.

He almost chuckles bitterly to himself when he remembers what he said to her back when she had the accident. He had accused her of being desperate for his attention when he thought she was pretending to have memory loss.

But look at him now, willing so much to beg on his knees for her. She wouldn't let him, however.

Not anymore.

He really hasn't known sorrow until Saemi, and he really regrets everything.

He regrets not telling her how he truly feels because he was so afraid to hurt his girlfriend. He regrets letting things happen the way they did because he was so caught up in the moment, so caught up with his growing feelings for her. He also regrets hurting his girlfriend because of that.

But the thing that he regrets the most is letting Saemi go without her knowing how important she is to him.

He thinks—no—he knows she hates him now. He knows he hurt her so much. Because if not, she wouldn't have gone that far, she wouldn't have compromised their future.

And he can't help but tear up in his room at nights, holding the plain gold ring between his fingers, with no one witnessing it but her cat plushie Ttalgi.

"Mr. Lee, what can you say about the news of your engagement being called off?"

"Mr. Lee, what happened to you and Ms. Kim Saemi?"

"Mr. Lee, are the rumors about the Kims cutting ties with your company true?"

Haechan walks fast despite being crowded by the paparazzi and interviewers at the front of their company building. He ignores the multiple questions being asked towards him.