17

The 7th of July

Haechan's hair is a few shades lighter than before, that's why Saemi's having a hard time looking for him in the sea of fancy dresses and expensive suits. Every man seems to have the same color of hair and clothes.

She knows he's there, she just doesn't know where exactly.

"Happy birthday, Saemi!"

"Saemi-yah! Happy birthday to you!"

"Happy birthday, Miss Saemi!"

"T—thank you."

She tries to talk longer, smile longer, hold it in just a little bit longer.

"Um, will you excuse me? I just need to go to the restroom."

But she can only take so much.

Yes, it's her birthday. No, her parents didn't have to throw such a grand party.

She's okay with inviting a few of her close friends, peers, and even professors, from the university. She doesn't even mind that some of Doyoung's friends are there, like Taeyong, Yuta, and Johnny.

She's glad that Yerim made it, despite refusing the first time in fear of her relationship with Haechan being exposed. But they're genuine friends with each other, so she's happy that she made it. And of course, the theatre society members are invited, no doubt.

But the next fifty people who were invited, including a small press taking photographs and doing interviews, are unknown to her.

And she feels agitated. Hence, escaping to the ladies' restroom that's far away from the function hall where her party is happening.

On the other hand, the moment he sees Saemi disappear from the crowd and into the glass doors, Haechan knows his plan will materialize tonight.

It's not a calculated plan. It's more of a "tell-me-if-you-want-to-go-and-we'll-leave" type of plan, not exactly well-developed. But it's still a plan, nonetheless.

He turns to Renjun, who's drinking from his wine glass, and says, "if my dad asks, she's with me. But only if he asks. Otherwise, don't tell anyone."

Renjun almost chokes on the red wine, his eyes widening. "Already? It's just nine."

"It's been two hours. I saw her exiting. She's probably in the restroom now."

"What about your girlfriend?" Renjun asks worriedly.

They both look at the blond girl who's conversing with Hana and some other girls in the distance.

Haechan knows that what he's about to do will hurt Yerim. He knows she's going to be mad at him. But he also knows she'll understand, once he explains.

And he will explain-just not tonight.

Not when Saemi needs him right now.

"I'll explain to her," he tells his friend. "Just hide-or something. Don't tell anyone except my dad. Or my mom."

"Jeno?" Renjun asks.