2

How It Really Started

"I don't want to get married to Kim Saemi!"

Those seven words, combined with her full name, is the most heartbreaking sentence Saemi has ever heard in her entire life.

And what hurts more, she thinks, is that it came from the boy whom she's going to marry in the future.

Yes, she and Haechan are just twelve years old, but their parents are dead set on getting them married when they reach the right age.

And—well—to counterpoise such harsh words, it's not that Haechan hates Saemi.

He doesn't.

He and Saemi are childhood friends. They've known each other since the beginning of their lives, and they get along quite well.

They like playing in the beach, building sandcastles and destroying it when they're not satisfied with it. They like having picnics in the summer season, eating fruits and sandwiches under the shade of the trees. And they like making each other laugh, doing stupid and questionable things that only children their age would understand.

To put it simply, they're very much alike.

Haechan is born into wealth, like his mother and father before him, and their mothers and fathers before them. It is a long line of wealthy generation after generation.

Saemi is the same. She and her older brother are born extremely wealthy, just like their parents and grandparents before them.

Haechan's family owns a fifty-year-old automobile company, and just like his father did, he will inherit it in the near future.

Meanwhile, Saemi's parents own an automotive supply company. They're much newer in the industry, but they're as good as the older competing companies in the area.

It was first owned by her grandparents, which was passed down to her parents. And it will be passed down to her soon.

Now, it should make sense that her older brother, Doyoung, is the one to take over the company and not her because first and foremost, he is the oldest.

But Doyoung made it clear as soon as he's old enough to debate that he doesn't want to take over it. His interests are not aligned with the family business.

It was no problem at all with the Kims because as it turned out, they had another child who could continue their legacy. And they couldn't be more happy that they gave birth to a girl, because it just so happened that the Lees' one and only child is a boy.

You see, the Kims' and the Lees' companies have been in a partnership with each other to ensure the continuous success of both businesses, and for years they've both been at the top.

The Lees sold millions of cars, while the Kims had no problem supplying them. For years, they were deemed a powerful duo and no one could beat them.

But they couldn't get enough of the power that their separate companies hold. So, to make things even more interesting for both parties, they thought it was the perfect idea to make their children marry each other.

Hence, the birth of the arrangement.

"That's what Eomma and Appa told me. I didn't even know that was a plan, until I heard them discussing about it. I guess they weren't supposed to tell me yet." Saemi tells her new best friend, Park Hana, who moved into the neighborhood two years ago.