15

A Picnic & A Peach Rose

"Happy birthday, Haechan. :)"

Haechan stares at that particular text on his phone, then he scrolls down.

"Sorry I missed your party. I suddenly had a massive headache."

He skips reading his own reply.

"I just closed my eyes for a while and when I woke up, it was already 11 pm. I'm okay now, tho. Thanks for asking. Anyway, I hope you liked my gift. :)"

He looks at his new wristwatch, the gift that was delivered to his house by one of the Kims' drivers, Mr. Yeon.

He reads his reply this time, "It's alright, not much happened anyway. I'm glad you're okay. I loved your gift, btw. I think it's my new favorite."

Then the next one.

"Do you want cake tho? I can bring you some tomorrow. It's your favorite, lemon velvet. :)"

And then nothing.

"Dude, stop staring at her text and just talk to her already." Mark encourages, pausing from eating his lunch.

Haechan fiercely objects. "I'm not staring at her text."

"Really?" Mark questions dryly. "She's literally a few feet away. Why don't you just talk to her?"

"She's avoiding me." Haechan finally admits, his tone a little dejected.

The older male chuckles as he shakes his head. "Now you're just shitting me. You do like her, don't you?"

"What?" Haechan scrunches his face at Mark. "No! How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"Then why are you acting like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you're all sad and gloomy 'cause she's ignoring you?"

"Because," Haechan exaggerates, holding his head in his hands.

He sighs exasperatedly, then glances towards his fiancée four tables from him and Mark.

Saemi is laughing at something Jungwoo is saying.

It's Friday, and her best friend isn't at school, so she's eating lunch with her next closest friend.

Her smile is bright, Haechan thinks.

She looks pleasant, like she's truly enjoying whatever Jungwoo is telling her. He can't help but gaze towards her.

"Haechan-ah, you don't have to hide it. I can see right through you." Mark says, pulling him away from his thoughts.

"What are you talking about?" He objects again. "I don't like Saemi, okay? I just don't like that she's avoiding me. Ever since I came back from the trip, she's been avoiding me."

"Well, duh. Your fiancée was here waiting while you were out having sex with your girlfriend. Of course, she'll avoid you."

"Mark, you're not helping at all." Haechan deadpans.

"Okay, okay. Shoot." Mark says with an uncontrolled grin.

"Look, Saemi doesn't like me, alright? So that's already out of the question. The problem is, we were progressing, you know? We were reaching a good level of our revived friendship and then one day—poof—it's gone. She doesn't talk to me like she used to. She only smiles when I joke about something-she lost the 'good morning' whenever I pick her up. And the 'good night.'