The Little Things; Donnatello

"I don't get this stupid game," I mumble loud enough for Donnie to hear.

"Chess isn't that hard to play when you know the rules," he whispers back, not looking up from the board in front of us. I sigh deeply as I blankly stare at the pieces, I never learned how to play. I watch Don place one of his white pieces on a random square and look up at me.

"What did you just do?" I look at the board in confusion, not knowing what to do next. "Can I just place the black ones anywhere?"

"Do you not know how to play?" he asked with a small smirk playing on his green lips.

My patience was running thin as Donnie was trying to keep his giggles in. My eyebrow twitched in annoyance as a scowl played on my face.

"No, I don't know how to play," I say, "and if you want to keep that shell of yours, you're gonna stop laughing at me."

He quickly shuts up, looking at me with a strange expression. "Do you want me to teach you?"

I looked up to see his serious face, a small nod came from me. Moving next to me, Donnie starts to explain the different pieces and what they do and where they can go. I listen intently not moving my eyes from the black and white board.

Over an hour later, we played a game together where Don decided to go easy on me since it was my first game... which I lost of course.

~--~

Donnie loves helping others, he just isn't the best at it. He tries his absolute hardest to please the people he cares about with his many inventions, but sometimes he just doesn't get the reaction he was looking for. Donnatello usually gets positive reinforcement when it comes to his wits and creations, so he mostly expects it when it comes to some of his... not so great ones.

Splinter plays a big role in Donnie's emotional health. Getting some form of validation from him is important to Don for one reason: he wants to feel important. All of Donnie's brothers have a great hold on their mystic powers while he had started using his not too long ago. It makes Donnie feel insecure to know that hir brothers are ahead of him.

Knowing how to talk to him when he's experiencing an emotional crash is also big. Bringing a soft tone towards Donnatello is your safest bet, unless you need to be firm or loud with him. The purple clad turtle tends to bottle up his problems until he starts to explode with stress and feelings. Just please don't leave him alone too long!

It was always the little things.

word count: 563