Recovery

Charles walked back into the waiting room carrying 5 cups of coffee. He passed them out to Holt, Gina, and Rosa. "I brought one for Amy. I'm gonna go check on them," he said.

"Thank you Boyle. Come get us if anything has changed with Peralta," Holt responded, accepting the coffee gratefully.

As Charles approached Jake's room, he heard voices. "...so we are adjusting your pain meds. Your pain level is normal for this type of injury. While I can say that you may have some nerve damage, I expect you to make a full recovery. The bullet was a clean hit, and you will regain near full function."

"Thanks Doc!" Jake's cheerful voice snapped Charles out of his tired daze. He saw a doctor and a nurse leave Jake's room and turn down the hall.

Charles walked into Jake's hospital room carrying two cups of coffee.

"Hey Charles!" Jake said. His bed had been adjusted so he was in a sitting position. He wore his signature grin across his face.

"Jake! I'm so glad you're okay!" He smiled and offered the coffee to Amy, who took it right away.

"Yeah, I'm a little banged up, bit I'm fine. Thanks for coming buddy," he said sincerely.

"Are you kidding? Half the NYPD showed up. Not to mention a few feds, and Amy's friend Kylie. Holt sent everyone home once we knew you were going to be alright, but him, Rosa, Gina, and myself stayed. Well, and Amy, but you knew that."

"Oh. So what exactly happened? I don't remember much after I was shot. I was hit and I heard Santiago scream my name . . ." he trailed off.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Amy asked, worried.

"You were in the room when I was shot," he said. "What else were you there for. The doctor told me everything that happened to me, but I want to know what you saw." His expression was so serious, Amy felt goosebumps.

Charles sat down on Jake's right side and listened as Amy started talking.

"Well Maliardi came into the room with a gun. He shot you, put a gag on me and tightened my restraints. I kept yanking on them, but I couldn't get them off until Boyle came in and helped me. I told him to radio for the paramedics. SWAT had already cleared the building and arrested all three of them. We ran over to you, and I used my jacket to put pressure on your wound. Boyle took over for me, but when your heart stopped I couldn't do the chest compressions because of my cut up wrists. So Boyle started CPR and I held pressure on the wound. When the rest of the team got there, the paramedics took over, and Rosa pulled me off of you. They shocked you twice and you were back. I rode to the hospital with you. Terry took the perps back to the precinct for interrogation. At the hospital, you were taken into surgery and a nurse took me to an examination room and bandaged my wrists. She gave me some scrubs to wear. My clothes were a covered in blood so . . . When the doctor came out, he said you could have visitors, so I came in. I guess I fell asleep." Amy turned to Charles with a questioning look.

Charles nodded and continued the story. "Well, we got to the hospital and just waited. A while after Amy went to your room, we came to check on you guys. Amy was asleep, so we went back to waiting room." He sent a knowing look towards Amy before continuing, "I actually just heard from Terry. He was in interrogation all night. Maliardi was one tough nut to crack, but he got a full signed confession. He is on his way here now."

Jake nodded, before saying, "Sixteen." He smiled before continuing. "All sixteen. I mean, I know they tried to kill me, but we got him."

Amy smiled and squeezed his hand, "Yeah, yeah we did."