Bliss of Rememberance

Start from the beginning

"They were the source." Vince said.

"We couldn't have pulled all of this off without them." the woman said.

She turned her attention to some other Right Arm people.

"Take her to the tent and get these guys some warm clothes. It's the least we can do." she instructed.

She turned her focus back to the two kids that she recognized.

"Thomas, Mallory, would you two mind coming with me? I need to get some blood from you both." the woman said

Mallory looked back and made eye contact with Newt to let him know that it's okay.

~~~~~~~~~~

The woman introduced herself as Mary and she was the Right Arm's doctor. They were in the medical tent.

Brenda was placed on a cot and Jorge sat beside her. She was still breathing heavily.

Mary did blood work on Thomas and Mallory. He seemed fine afterwards, but she wasn't. For some reason, Mallory felt pale and lightheaded. Mary let her lay down on another cot.

"In the beginning, you were lost. All we knew for sure was that the younger you kids were, the stronger your chances." Mary explained.

"You worked for WICKED?" Thomas asked.

Mary nodded. "A long time ago."

Teresa slowly walked up to the medical tent and eavesdropped on the conversation.

"At first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure and save the world. It was clear that you kids were the key because you were immune, but why? Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the Immune. The one separated the bloodstream that can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus." Mary explained, while mixing substances in beakers and test tubes.

"So, you found a cure?" Thomas asked.

"Not actually. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the Immune, the young. Of course that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way, they'd sacrifice an entire generation...all for this. A gift of biology and evolution." Mary explained, then held up a needle with blue liquid in it.

By that time, Teresa walked away from the medical tent.

Mallory rolled over on her other side to see what was going to happen. Mary walked over to Brenda and grabbed ahold of her left wrist.
Once Mary injected the blue liquid into Brenda's system, she let out a big exhale and her breathing calmed down.

"How long will that keep her?" Mallory asked.

"It's different for everyone. A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll allows need more. Let's go outside and let them rest." Mary said.

With that, Jorge got up and walked out of the tent, but he stayed right by the entrance.

Mary noticed that Mallory changed her position on the other cot.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"A little bit better. I'm still feeling a little lightheaded." Mallory said.