Chapter 18: Freedom is Short

Xandar soon disappeared behind us and we are thrust into a giant sea of stars, leaving me baffled in my seat next to Peter. I was sure he had said something to me, but I was lost admiring the ocean of comets and planets, the beauty of it washing me in like a sailor gone overboard. This was nothing like I had seen and I had no words to describe what I was experiencing. What time was it? Oh god, what about Steve? How long had I been gone from Earth? He must be so worried. I was supposed to be back in D.C. by nightfall and I couldn’t even see Earth. I looked on my phone and just as I thought, it didn’t work. I hated to say it, but I was concerned. What was even wore was how often I had been saying that. I wasn’t ever a softie and I couldn’t help it when it came to Steve. Was that all I thought about? Steve, Steve, Steve. I probably sounded like a broken record at this point. Maybe it was a good thing I got away from Earth for a little while. I could just chill out here for a bit until I got back.

“Helloooo?”

I blink and turn my head to Peter, who was trying to get my attention. “Sorry,” I say, blinking again. “It’s cool. It can get my mind lost too.” I’m confused for a moment until I realized that he meant the outside space. “Yeah,” I add awkwardly, “It’s beautiful out there. Nothing we’ve ever seen on Earth.” “Would you believe the last time I was there it was 1988?” I look at him again, raising an eyebrow. “That’s the year I was born,” I comment. He looks ahead to guide the ship, groaning in the process. “Now you’re making me feel old.” I shrug, looking back out ahead. “If it makes you feel any better, I’m going out with a 95 year old.” He put the ship into an abrupt stop, causing everyone in the back of the ship to lose balance. “Um, I don’t mean to sound rude, but it sounds like you’re after something,” Peter said. I chuckle a bit before looking back at him. “Do you know Captain America?” I question. He nods. “I heard about him when I was a kid. Why?” I smirk, having his complete attention. “A few years ago, they found his sunk plane and found him in a block of ice and as it turns out, he was alive. He still is and looks the same as he did 70 years ago,” I explain. “And you’re his girlfriend?” I sigh, sitting back in my seat as Peter starts to fly the ship again. “We aren’t official,” I inform.

He begins to chuckle a bit from where he was, keeping his eyes ahead. “I see where this is going,” He says through his laughter. I raise an eyebrow, confused by him completely. “What do you mean?” “You guys are friends with benefits.” “Absolutely not!” I exclaim, “I wouldn’t use Steve like that. In fact, as far as I know, he’s still a virgin.” Starlord’s chuckles showed no stop as he kept laughing to himself. “A 90 year old virgin?” I roll my eyes. “It’s not any of my business anyway,” I speak, “Of course, he doesn’t know that much about me either.” “You’re a virgin too?” Peter asks as he turns the ship. “Quite the opposite. I work for an agency and sometimes on missions we have to…” I trail off from what I was saying, not wanting to say more. Starlord looked over at me, a disgusted look on his face. “That’s gross,” He states. “Try telling that to my boss. He couldn’t care less,” I reply, “That’s how I lost it. I was traumatized. My fellow female agents were there and told me not to bother telling my boss. I’ve never had relations with someone outside a mission.” Peter didn’t say anything in return as the ship fell silent and moved closer to Earth.

I got up from my seat and went to the back where everyone else was. The raccoon sat at a table with the same pot, only a little sprout was in the pot. “I am Groot!” It said in a high pitched voice. “Okay, that is adorable,” I comment. “According to your file, Jackie,” Gamora says as she looks onto a screen, “You have worked with Loki along with the Chitauri. Is that true?” “How is everyone getting my file?” I ask myself as I walk over to the screen, a picture of my face and my info on it. “But yes, I did work with Loki and the Chitauri because he gave me no choice. And now he’s dead.” Gamora blinked in confusion before shaking her head. “When did you hear the news that he died?” I shrug, trying to think back. “Probably a month or so ago. His brother told me. He even gave me a piece of his armor,” I reply. Gamora shook her head more. “He cannot be dead. My father would have told me,” She says. “What does your father have to do with anything?” I ask. “He had Loki under his control. That is why he attempted to take over your planet. But my father still has eyes on him. He would’ve told us if he perished. That’s what he does for everyone one he possesses.” I leaned on the table for balance, my vision blurring. Drax helped me up and sat me down, asking if I was alright. “If he’s still alive, that means he’s still watching me,” I say in disbelief.

“How can he watch you?” Drax asks. “He gave me this necklace before the invasion. When it was over and when I was leaving, I promised him I would never take it off. One of the last times I held it, it burned my hand and he was in the mirror and he spoke to me. That day, I found out he was dead. I’m scared to take it off now, I don’t know what it would do to me.” Gamora came closer and picked up the necklace in her hand and looked at it closely. “He has sort of magick on it. He’s made it so it only answers to you. It’s also made from some sort of unbreakable stone. He wasn’t joking about keeping an eye on you,” She tells. “That bastard is gonna get his ass kicked next time I see him,” I comment. Peter turns to us from his seat and looks at me. “Incoming on Earth. Where to?” “Carefree, Arizona,” I answer, picking up the Nova helmet, “I’ve got someone I need to speak to.” The ship lands by the Alexander home, opening up for me. “Thank you all so much,” I say, “Your kindness will be remembered.” I exit the ship and it closes behind me before flying back into the sky. I storm over to the front door of the home, knocking on the door. Sam answers the door, cringing. I hand him his helmet, glaring slightly. “SHEILD base, Arizona. Not hard to find. I want you to go there and tell them everything. Clear?” He nods and I angrily leave, heading to the airport and hope to get the next flight to D.C.