Chapter Five: The Legendaries

A/N: I'm finally back!  Sorry about the wait, from now on, it should be updated biweekly!

CHAPTER FIVE:

        Last night, I think all of the female Salamanders cursed at me at least one time each, no exaggeration.  And I gloated to each and every one of them, still no exaggeration.  So today, during breakfast, I find that everyone is glaring at me, now including random Elementals that aren’t even Salamanders.  And that’s the exact reason I’m laying back in my chair with a grin on my face and my feet propped up on the table.  Rumor has it that the rest of the Elementals will be announced during-

        “Attention, everyone.”  Confirming our suspicions, Ren stands before us.  “The King and I have made our final decisions.”  The room is silenced, everyone anxiously waiting to see if they are the lucky person that gets to go on the quest.  Or, hoping that it’s not them.  Me?  I just wanna see who’ll be dealing with me for the next...few days?  Month?  Year?  I don’t even know.

        “First off, the male Salamander is Malachy Mylin.”  A huge, muscular boy stands up as a bunch of Salamanders cheer for him.  Zia and Aiden join them; I think he was who they thought would go.  “The female Undine is Marina Quinn.”  A much smaller girl with long black hair nervously stands up, looking kind of horrified by situation she’s been put in.  “And the Gnomes and Clover McClorey and Simon Ashby.”  Simon looks nervous, though not as much as Marina, and Clover gives a cocky smile.  “Since this quest should commence sooner rather than later; the eight will leave tomorrow.  So Tierney, Cat, Clover, Simon, Beck, Marina, Malachy, and Ember,” he says my name with a defeated sigh, “stay in the dining hall after breakfast for preparation.”

        With the excitement of the possibility of being chosen gone, the dining hall is a lot quieter, though many people still complain about me being chosen, and I usually yell at them, not matter how far away they are.

        Once breakfast ends, everyone leaves the premises except for us eight...questers?  Looking around, I notice that I’m clearly the youngest and least experienced one here.  I would say the other seven are eighteen, or close to it.

        “You all can come sit over here,” Ren tells as, sitting down at Beck’s table.  We all crowd around him in a circle.  “So, like I said, you’re leaving tomorrow.  So today, I have to get you prepared to leave.”  He looks directly at me.  I wave back.  “Especially you.”  Ren plops a huge, dusty book on the plastic lunch table.  “So, since none of you have left Linlea Peaks since before you came here, you obviously don’t know about what’s actually out there.”  Everyone at the table looks immensely confused.  “Yeah, there are other kinds of creatures out there.”

        “Like what?” Clover asks, a suspicious look on her face.

        “Well…”  Ren slides the book over to her.  Her and the people sitting next to her, Marina and Simon, crowd in to page through the book with her.  Their countenances quickly turn to looks of wonder.

        “Sea serpents?  Dragons?” Clover says, mistified.

        “Yeah, lots of kinds of dragons.  I personally like Western Dragons,” Ren responds.

        My eyes widen.  “Is Nessie real?!”

        Ren dismisses my statement.  “Of course not.”

        “Other than those, I’ve never heard of any of these,” Marina falters.  “I was kinda expecting unicorns and fairies.”

        “Nah, those are too ordinary.  All of those were created when Elementals, who at the time didn’t know they were Elementals, tried to tell the world about all of this.  Most mythology is actually based on their ramblings, it’s quite amusing.  Like, the unicorn came from the real mythical creature called a Jevrath, which is basically a unicorn mixed with a pegasus, but it’s super hostile and is cannibalistic.”