“Shut up.” Amos rolled his eyes and strummed.

“It’s true.”

“It’s NOT true.”

“Eh, oh...” Carlos stood and went to the screened window. “She’s pulling into the driveway right now.”

“She is?” Amos shot to his feet.

“Hah! See? She scares you.”

“That’s not funny.”

“Oh, but it is because Lorena IS home.”

“Shit.”

Scurrying into the house, Amos bolted down the hallway and slid into his music room to stow the new treasure. It was his sanctuary where countless guitars covered three of the navy blue walls, with track lights beaming across their glossy finishes. But, there wasn’t a spot for his new pawnshop gem, so he nestled it onto a stand in the corner.

“Hiding it in plain sight, huh?” Carlos chuckled, running a hand over his head of dark, chin-length waves.

“I’m not hiding it. I’m gonna tell her.”

“Whatever you say, man.”

The front door squeaked open, followed by hesitant heel clicks against the hardwood floor, causing both to turn towards the hallway, eyes wide.

“It was nice knowing you.” Carlos clapped Amos’s back.

“Oh, cut it out! You always think the worst of Lorena. She’ll be fine.”

“I wouldn’t think the worst of her if she wasn’t such a bitch.” Carlos flicked the dark curl that had come loose from Amos's short fauxhawk.

“Hey!” He smacked his hand away and smoothed the tendril back into place. “Don’t forget she’s my girlfriend or whose home you’re standing in. Be respectful.”

“I respect people who respect me.”

“Just...” Amos pinched the bridge of his nose. “Be nice.”

“Oh, I can be civil.”

The approaching click of high heels amplified, forcing the brothers to step out of the room and greet the woman in question. She flashed a tight smile, muttering a hello as she walked past, her long brunette locks bouncing on her shoulders. They spun and watched her retreat into the master bedroom.

“Amos, I need to talk to you,” she said over her shoulder, and Carlos raised his brows.

“Big bro, I feel for you.”

“Stop it.” Amos glared before heading for the bedroom.

As soon as the door closed behind him, Lorena whirled around, her hands tugging at the white blouse tucked into her ruby pencil skirt while kicking off nude-colored pumps. “Does your family have to be here twenty-four-seven?”

“It’s just my mom and brother.”

“Yeah, and they’re always here! But, for once, I’d like to come home from work and relax without having to see them taking up space in my house.”

“This is the first time they’ve been here this week, and my mom made us dinner.”

“I don’t care!” Lorena growled, shimmying out of the skirt, then kicking up the fabric to snatch it with her hand. “It’s like she thinks I can’t cook or something.”

“To be fair, I do most of the cooking around here. Besides, my mom is trying to help. You’ve been putting in a lot of overtime at work, so she’s just being nice.”