Chapter 23 ∞ REEVE

Začít od začátku

I check in with my elites and skip eating, my stomach a tangle of nerves. I find Rainer along the shore's edge finishing a plate of dessert, his wounds mostly healed. He's standing beside my father, both silent. "I've never seen you look so pensive," I say to Rainer.

My brother reaches out a hand and clasps my neck, running his thumb over my throat, more protective than usual, then drops his hand to squeeze my shoulder before leaving me alone with our father.

"How is Master Daire faring?" my father asks.

"Priestess Blue said that he's stable and should be ready by tomorrow."

"How are you after what happened on the island and with leaving in the morning?"

"Surprisingly okay. Energized. Nervous. Anxious to have this all over with."

He rubs his lips together and crosses his arms. "I will stay here in your place while you take whomever you need to do this. I can offer a steady presence while you're gone."

"Thank you."

"You and Rainer need to look out for each other."

"We will."

He swallows and rolls his shoulders. "He almost died the other day," my father says and blinks away the pooling moisture in his eyes. "He says if it weren't for Peter—" his voice breaks and he looks down, trying to collect himself.

I put my arms around as much of him as I can. "I swear we'll protect each other. And I don't know what it is between them, but I think Peter would put up a hell of a fight before letting anything happen to Rainer."

He nods and straightens his posture. "As I believe Prince Daire would for you."

I turn to see what expression accompanies those words. His eyes are knowing. He's watching me as closely as I'm watching him.

I'm not sure I want to know what details he's figured out. "Yes."

"Will he be your warder, then? Your mate?"

"I'm not sure if we're meant for more than we have right now."

He studies my profile and for a fleeting second, I think that I can see a hint of the sadness that I feel at those words. "You will always have him on your side, as he will have you. Maybe that's enough."

No, it's not, I want to scream. "I thought..." I shake my head, unsure of what to say from there. "Daire is—"

"A vampyre, son. A prince and, hopefully, a new king in service to his coven." The edges of his lips inch up. "A vampyre who threw himself over a cliff to save a wolf."

He kisses my forehead and rubs a hand through my hair. "I'm here for you, son—Alpha—whatever happens."

"Thank you, Father."

"Alpha Nivi sent a delta to our border while you were meeting with the elites. He'd like to speak with you before you leave in the morning."

"Meet with me? Is he coming here?" How could he possibly travel that distance just to speak with me?

"He's at a camp inside his pack land, assisted by Mother Renault. It won't take you more than an hour to reach him and Banks offered to accompany you."

"Mother Renault?" What in the goddess' name is going on?

I can feel his barrel laugh inside my chest. "Your ascent to power has been quite the adventure."

I grin and rub my face. "I'm not sure I can take much more."

"Oh Reeve," he scrubs my hair, "you're only getting started."