Chapter 14

''Hi, can I get a large popcorn, and some Nerds?'' I say, grabbing my wallet out of my back pocket.  Elle is standing beside me, and for the first time, I'm realising how much shorter she is than me. She's a dwarf for only a year younger than me (she's a year older than Kara, and Kara was held back a grade two years ago). ''Uh, is there anything else we want to get?'' I ask Elle, and she shakes her head. 

''Nope, I'm good.'' She responds, adding to the head shake. 

''Alright then.'' Can people notice exactly how big I'm smiling? 

The lady on the other side of the counter hands me the popcorn and large box of Nerds. ''Thank you.'' I say, starting to walk away, towards the theater room, and away from the concession stand.

 ''Where do you want to sit?'' We're standing at the very bottom of the theater. 

''Wherever works with me, but I usually sit in the middle.'' 

''Me too. What a coincidence.'' What a coincidence. I let Elle go first up the stairs because I am a gentleman, but stare at the ground the entire time, until when she stops supposedly at the middle. She picks out a couple of seats in the middle of the row, and sits. I along with her. I pass her the Nerds box, and I hold the popcorn box on my lap, but tilting it so that she can easily get some. 

We are currently watching a horror movie that came out recently, and everyone says is amazing. Surprisingly, Elle suggested it. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, but I really like Elle, and Elle seems to like them, so I'm all for it. 

I jump at the littlest jumpscares, and then Elle starts laughing hysterically, and everyone in the theater looks at us like we're crazy. Especially about the last jumpscare, when a kid died...

When the movie is (finally) done, I drive Elle home, and walk her to her door. ''I had a good time tonight.'' I say, running my hand through my hair, which has seemed to grow tremendously recently. 

''I had fun too. I, uh, better get inside. I'm sure my parents are watching me through the window.'' She chuckles slightly, but I can tell it's mainly forced.

Did I do something wrong?