1: Heroics

I rush from the pharmaceutical building, where I work, through the parking garage. I've worked late again and although I have no one waiting for me back at my apartment, I'm not keen on paying the extra 3 dollars for parking. Scanning the line of cars for my grey sedan, I spot an odd exchange occurring in a darkened corner of the level. Reluctantly I walk in that direction, as they're standing right beside my car.

A pitch-black overcoat looms above a woman in a navy skirt suite. She shrinks before the dark figure of a man but makes no cry for help. I try to not look at them too much, as I approach my car. Movement in my peripherals draws my stupid gaze back to the odd exchange just as I reach my bumper. The man, who I can now see is fairly tall and well-built with harsh masculine features set in a smirk that also seems to look like a snarl, has grabbed the woman's arm.

I plan to look away when our eyes meet.

Her milky blue eyes scream her terror at me. I have no choice. As any ordinary citizen would, in the face of such a situation, I call for help.

I pull out my phone, taking a shaky step in their direction. "Let her go. The police are on their way." I lie, holding the phone to my ear as it rings 911.

Slowly, he turns his head in my direction. His irises are like to lightless pits I'm terrified of falling into. I flinch under his gaze. The phone stops ringing but no operator voice sounds. I glance at the black screen stifling a shriek of panic as I frantically press the button with no effect. I click the side button, glancing between my phone and the man who's staring at me now with that snarling smirk, still holding the woman disturbingly still.

My phones dead. I could have sworn I had over half battery life remaining.

"Yes, a man is assaulting a woman on the 3rd level of the East Heights parking garage section J." I report into dead air.

The man just stares at me. The woman stares at me. Am I dreaming or hallucinating?

"Help me please." The woman screams suddenly, her face contorting in terror, tears flying as she shakes her head, tearing at her arm trying to break free. The man remains frozen, not even blinking. He seems to be waiting to see what I'll do next.

"Please. Please. Please." She begs hysterically, looking at me with those pleading desperate eyes.

The man is larger than me. My phone is dead. I don't know what to do.

"Is it money you want?" I ask, pulling out my wallet. "Here. Now just get out of here." I command with false bravado, feeling a little insane holding out all the money I have toward the man. The epinephrine pumping through my veins is making me antsy, demanding I either fight or flight.

He makes no move to take my money. The woman continues to wail. I feel as if I'm going crazy. I have no choice. I have never been in a confrontation, no less a physical one.

"Let her go." I demand with more confidence than I feel, pushing the man's considerable chest. He still doesn't move, but I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating now. He is very solid.

I shove him again, although I know it's in vain. In an instant the woman is running past me, and a vice grip has my wrist. I try and pull away but am pulled closer to the hulking form. I look into his face and it's changed. His brow is furrowed considering his new prey. A sinister smile slides across his face, satisfied with his catch. A void of Blackness begins swallowing the man. Am I about to pass out? The shriek finally escapes as he's completely engulfed, and the darkness comes for me next. I fight his grip with no effect until all light is gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading part one of Master's Little Hero. I would love to know what you think so far. 

Would you step in for a stranger as Hero did?