🌞Chapter 43🌻

🌞🌻

Mew smiled and opened the door for Gulf.

It has to end here.

His brain felt foggy.  Maybe he should start an argument.  That would be easier for both of them.
Mew would never come looking for him then. And if AA came around,  Mew could truthfully say he knew nothing of Gulf's whereabouts.  Right now,  Gulf needed to make Mew hate his guts.

He yanked off the tie and threw it on top of the coat,  then took off the suit,  grabbed the payment demand, and handed it to Mew.

"I couldn't collect this," he growled.

"Really?" Mew asked, surprise. "Even you couldn't get the money back? That's a real problem."

"Heart System is in trouble," Gulf explained gruffly. "The Seishoukai sold all the real estate. Our only option is to bargain with them for a share."

Maybe Mew can give the job to someone else. They could get negotiate and recover at least some of the debt. Gulf didn't mention their threats, however.

"The Yakuza don't give up money that easily. To deal with Yakuza, I should use the other Yakuza." Mew considered. "Should I hire another gang? Either way it'll cost a ton of money. Collection might well be impossible."

He sighed and put the payment demand on the table, then reached out and grabbed Gulf's hand.

Gulf looked at him with surprise, then hung his head in shame. He just couldn't make eye contact right now.

"Did you wind up like this because of the money?" Mew asked cautiously.

"Of course not," Gulf lied quickly. "That had nothing to do with this. I bumped into an old acquaintance, that's all."

"An old acquaintance?" Mew prompted, sharp as ever.

Gulf had to be careful or he'd wind up spilling the beans. He'd better leave as soon as possible. He got up from the sofa.

"Where's my old suit?" he demanded. "That white one I used to wear?"

"I had it dry-cleaned," Mew said, taking the suit out of the closet and handing it to Gulf.

"What happened to your watch?" he asked as Gulf took off his shirt.

He must have grabbed my hand to check for the Rolex.

Rendered almost speechless by Mew's sharpness, Gulf snorted. "Oh, that. I sold it. Creeped me out, having matching watches."

"You needed the money?" Mew probed.

"Sure," Gulf said. "I always do. I mean, I owe you money. I'm sick of being buried in debt with a guy like you."

He was really trying his best to make Mew despise him. He removed the gold business card holder from his suit put and pressed it against Mew's chest.

AA had his card now. If something happened, AA could uspe it as evidence of Gulf's connection to Lovely. No matter how much Gulf claimed otherwise, the card imprinted with Lovely's logo proved he worked for them. If the police investigated, it would be Exhibit A.

"You've been good to me, but I need to disappear for a while," Gulf said in a rush, trying to end it quickly.

Mew looked shocked. He grabbed Gulf's hand and pushed him against the wall. "What happened? Please tell me."

Gulf knew Mew was really upset, but he just glared back at him.

Mew's usual self-confidence was swiftly deserting him. Gulf felt both elated and sorrowful having this power over Mew. For a moment, they said nothing, just kept looking at each other.

Gulf knew they were feeling the same emotions, but he managed not to shed a tear. He had deceived people so easily as a Yakuza, jumping right into a life of crime while leaving his morals behind. Why did lying to Mew now hurt so badly?

He decided to be as heartless as possible. He needed to make his words drip with poison.l

"I'm bored. Can't breathe around you. Let me do what I want for
a while," he said bluntly.

"Bored?" Mew whispered.

Now he looked hurt. Gulf's words were obviously tearing him apart.

I have to do it. I have to protect Mew.

Gulf had expected Mew to wildly protest. That's should have happened, but Mew totally surprised him.

"You still have to pay the debt back," Mew said firmly.

Gulf bellowed in rage, chanelling all the pain of knowing that Mew only cared about his money.

"I'd love to tell you to fuck off," he yelled. "But if you want it, take it now. Whatever you wanna do to me, do it. You just want my body, right? Well here it is! Take what I owe you."

He knew he didn't really mean it, but he had to do this for Mew's sake.

"Just your body," Mew said in sarcastic tone.

He grabbed Gulf's chin, forcing him to look up. It wasn't like Mew to be this angry.

This needed to happen.

Gulf had pushed Mew around before, but he had never gone this far. But even Mew's patience had its limits. He roughly squeezed Gulf's jaw again, making Gulf bite his tongue.

"You wanna hear something?" Gulf sneered.

"What?"

Gulf's heart skipped a beat, but he narrowed his eyes and smiled, trying to provoke Mew even more.

"I'm sick of you," he hissed. "I've had enough of your sick hobby."

He threw off Mew's hands and tried to push him away. Mew slammed him back against the wall.

"Then you better pay me back," Mew demanded, his eyes cold and piercing.

His eyes weren't laughing anymore.

TBC