🌞Chapter 37🌻

🌞🌻

Gulf decided to stop in the employee lounge for a smoke.

Ah.

He puffed on his cigarette and stretched out on the sofa. After seeing hard-charging Mew at work, he was feeling a bit insecure.

What the hell can I do? He thought, blowing a trail of smoke.

Today, he would collect debts. He was very good at getting people to pay up, but what else could he do? He wanted to believe Mew had hired him for his skills, not because he liked him. Real men don't get jobs through their boyfriends.

As he stubbed out his cigarette, he heard voices nearby.

"What the hell does the manager think he's doing? Letting  Yakuza scum into the office?"

Gulf's ears pricked up at the words "Yakuza scum".

"What happens when people find out about him? It'll be a disaster for Lovely's image," someone else said.

"If the papers find out, there'll be a public scandal. I've heard our president wants to enter politics. But rumors like this will..."

The gossipers were both elederly men. Lovely employed lots of young people, but there were still old workers left from when the company had been called Jongcheevevat Financing. Now they were executives.

Gulf waited until the two men passed him by before he spoke up.

"You have a problem with me?"

He leaned back on the sofa, legs spread wide, and gave them a cool, defiant look. No matter how nice his suit was, he could still make them shiver with fear.

"Wahh!" one gasped.

"Ah, umm, ummm," stammered the other.

The two old men were so terrified, they dropped the documents in their hands. But Gulf quickly lost interest in them, having achieved the desired effect.

"Got something to say to me? Then say it to my face!" he spat out.

Gulf thought that would be the end of it. He assumed they would hurry away, unwilling to cause a scene at work.

But one executive shot back at him, trembling with rage. "We...we can't accept having someome like you working for Mr. Suppasit. Mr. Suppasit should be thinking of this company!"

"Heh," Gulf snorted, squinting at them.

MISTER SUPPASIT. They've gotta be kidding.

Gulf couldn't believe that other people would even talk about their relationship, let alone have an opinion about it. He got up from the sofa looking livid. The executive gulped. Other employees stopped as they passed by, waiting with baited breath.

Gulf wouldn't beat the executive up, just threaten him a little. He did not like to be mocked. As he stepped forward, one executive let out a little scream.

Suddenly a sharp, imposing voice cut through the tension.

"What's going on here?"

Gulf turned around to see Mew. Behind him, Mew's secretary held his coat and bag. Mew definitely called the shots here, which was to be expected from the branch manager.

"These bastards said Yakuza scum shouldn't be here," Gulf protested. "I was just messing with them a little."

Mew nodded and turned to the men.

"He has my permission to be here, gentlemen. Gulf has proven himself very useful in debt collection. He successfully collected money from Maruichi Sake Company and the Oohara Product Company, which you had such difficulty in doing, or have you forgotten?"

"No. We...we just think you shouldn't deal with him directly. Use more appropriate people, instead of Yakuza scum," a man explained.

"So he's Yakuza scum, huh?" Mew asked.

The executive looked baffled. "Huh? But he is, isn't he?"

"Gulf left his gang to work for me" Mew said coldly. "If anything happens, I'll take the blame. The financial world always needs the services of criminals. But I will not pretend they have nothing to do with me just to keep my own hands clean. That, gentlemen, is not my style." Mew's voice sounded deep and impressive. He definitely was different at work.

"Got any more complaints?" he added.

The executives were at a loss for words. Mew marched away, motioning for Gulf to come with him.

"I'll drop you off at Heart System. I have something to discuss with you," he said.

"Okay, sure..." Gulf muttered. He felt slightly miffed that Mew had jumped to rescue him. He wanted to look after himself.

Still, he had been vindicated. He followed Mew with his head held high.

TBC