i walk all the way up to the seventh floor, hardly even thinking about it, until the door's appeared before me and i'm reaching out for the handle— holding my breath as i push it open.

he's there, asleep in the bed, a small frown on his face. his hands are tight around the blanket, like he's having an awful dream.

i shut the door quietly and walk over to the couch, keeping my eyes on him as i sit down.

i'm considering leaving when i hear him shift, and my eyes snap back to his form in the bed.

"someone here?" he says croakily, his eyes still shut and body tending significantly.

i let out a soft breath, "it's me," and curl my knees to my chest as he relaxes back into the mattress.

"oh— hello," he whispers, pulling the blanket slightly more around himself.

i lean down onto the arm of the couch, tilting my head and looking over at him. in the moment of silence, he turns onto his side, resting his head up in his hand. he looks at me curiously, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"i— couldn't sleep. not knowing where you were," i admit, looking down at my hands. i tap my fingers on the arm of the couch, waiting for him to respond.

i look back to him after a moment, seeing him still staring at me, a small smile on his face.

"how are you?" i say quietly, resting my head down on my hands.

he sighs, looking me over and then crashing back down onto his back, staring up the the ceiling. "not dead— suppose that's a positive," he laughs, before wincing and going to clutch his side.

i roll my lips, watching him move the blanket and look down towards his abdomen. on the opposite side of where i'm sitting, i can't see the damage, but by the grim look growing on his face, i can only assume it's nothing good.

"what is it?" i say, sitting up straighter and trying to get a view.

"it's nothing—"

"are you still hurt—?"

"i'm fine, really—"

"draco—"

"just a little bruised, that's all—"

i'm up off the couch before he can finish the sentence, crossing over the bed and sitting down.

he yanks the blanket back up to cover his torso,  glaring over at me.

"show me, draco," i say sternly, moving closer and crossing my legs as i stare down at him.

"y/n—" he groans, clutching the blanket and rolling away from me.

i reach forward, grabbing the top edge of the blanket and pulling down as i hard as i can, revealing his bare torso.

my eyes immediately fine the thin, silver scars littering his chest, crossing over each other and running all the way from his collar bone to the drawstring of his pajama bottoms.

and then, i notice the large, blossoming bruise on his left side, a deep purple spreading across his pale skin.

"see? fine—"