Chapter 15: Men in Power

Start from the beginning

“Good morning Edith, Mr Blake.” Martin tilted his head as he sat across his adopted brother, as comely maid poured him a cup of coffee. “Are we going to see Mrs Blake today?”

Lester looked up as he cut into his muffin, then returned to his meal. He couldn’t stand those sharp blue eyes boring into him, making him feel guilty. Martin had already expressed his opinion against Lester’s decision to exclude Katherine from the proceedings in the case. It was her husband’s case and she had a right to know. 

Calmly, Lester had explained it would upset her. She was already delicate as a newlywed and Lester was always wary of harming those who could be pregnant. He was not naïve, they would have had sex. If he had another niece or nephew on the way, he did not want any harm to befall any of them. 

Martin did not reply after that. He had gone off to play his piano, which Lester had especially delivered from Italy. The music betrayed the young composer’s thoughts too well and was filled with heartache. The music reminded Lester of something, which he asked. “Who is she?”

Martin stopped eating and a warm blush spread across his marble cheeks. “Who?”

“The young woman you sang about yesterday. I want to know who has captured your heart.” Lester joked, his trade mark wink making his warm brown eyes light up. The comely maid, who had served Martin, stopped buttering a crumpet and then excused herself. It interrupted the silence. 

When she was gone, Lester shook his head and turned to the young man. “No one. Women make a man weak. You are an example of what happens to a man when there is a woman. I suppose you were lucky to make it out so unscathed, it could have been worse.”

Lester opened his mouth to protest but Martin had already left the room.  His blond hair flopped in front of him as he read the paper, the broadsheet informing him as he nonchalantly finished off his breakfast. 

Miss Lucia Summers. His heart ached as he recalled her name again, the memories of her laughter and company. He regretted telling the boy about his life with her and how he had lost it when she had left. It had shattered him and he could see the look of concern from Edith. She had been there during that time, and comforted him afterwards. He tried to shrug it off, but the bitterness had seeped into his soul. He tried to control his rage but all Lester wanted to do was to find her again. He wanted to make the fading memories return to him and find the purpose of life she had given him. The protection he had given her, the admiration and fierceness she had shown, and the life he had lost.  

The caffeine reawakened him and the newspaper showed him the profits his business was making, it was just as pleasing as the whore…

After changing into riding attire, riding and greeting various unnameable dignitaries, Lester headed to Adams’ town home. Dorian, Lester’s new assistant, sat diligently by his master. His brunette head was buried in a book which Lester had given to him and his green eyes were focused on the page. 

Lester had to admire the boy for his deference towards him. Dorian was clearly eager to start his duties that day, but Lester was in no mood to explain. He had protested he was being paid for nothing, Lester had barked at him to know his place. Then, he had offered to order a room in a local tavern. 

Lester knew he needed to change. The boy’s concerns were genuine. His body still reeked of sweat and his face glistened in it, but he honestly had no time for pleasantries. Once he had been installed by the butler, Lester had greeted James. It had been awkward and tense, but now it was worse.

Lester only wanted William’s freedom. All the events from the past were forgotten, for the moment, in his eyes. He would work with this bastard because he was one of the best in the country, the darkest who was admired for his skilfulness. That was it.