Chapter 14: Feigned Obedience

The evening glow streamed in, breaking her unwanted slumber. It was easy enough to pretend all her problems did not exist when Katherine was asleep. Even now as she stretched her muscles and the clock continued to take away more of her time, she had forgotten about the crumpled letter in her hand. 

She scrunched it harder as she moved, the crinkling noise returning her back into agony. As she unfolded it, she slowly reread bits of it and recollected her memory. The introduction was pleasant enough, discussing the weather and other usual topics between acquaintances of the middle class.

The only person Katherine knew that William had even aimed a gun at was Aaron Watson Senior. But, he was dead. Katherine had heard the news when Watson junior had begun sobbing it to his wife. He had reacted violently to the death and there had been no funeral arranged for his dead father. 

Maybe that’s why no one had questioned it. The body would have not been brought back because his only living son had refused to see it. The crime scene was cleared because the land also belonged to Watson and he did not want any trace of it. It was simple enough to accept his death and move on with their grief.

“Mrs Blake,”

In her haze, Katherine heard Mary’s voice as if they were wisps of air. Sweet Mary was as innocent as can be, with no problems to plague her sleep. Katherine sometimes wished for fewer responsibilities, because they had tired her to the point of daytime naps. She used to look down on Mrs Watson for retiring at four before dinner, now she was doing the same. 

In a slip nevertheless! Katherine snapped to attention as the breeze licked her body. She scrunched her eyes shut and called out.  “Yes Mary?”

“You have a guest, Mrs Blake,” Mary paused and then continued. “May he come in?”

Images returned to her of William’s shirt soaked in his own blood. The crosses which would forever remind him of his ordeal, would still be healing on his back. Katherine was not able to visit him today, since it was Sunday, but would pray for him at Evening Mass. She would ask God to see over him and not let him fall to illness. 

She would allow the sunlight to warm his soul and as he stared out his small cell, the hope that freedom would be his one day. A good man was looked in a dingy cell with his own piss. God! Katherine did not understand because men like Aaron Watson still roamed free. They had raped and murdered, with power. 

A humble Catholic had been abandoned by God. A desperate slave had been left to die. 

 “He says it’s urgent and you were expecting him?” The maid trailed off for a little while and then added. “He says there was a letter.”

Skipping straight to the bottom of the letter, Katherine felt bile settle in her throat. She read the ending of the letter slowly to herself, telling herself her angel had come. “I do realise your husband is in a precarious position, so therefore you are too. However, I’d like to help.”

Katherine cleared her throat, the rawness making it painful. “Apologise to Mr Spence and take him to the library, I will be one moment.” 

Once the footsteps had become quieter, Katherine shot into her room. She threw on a black gown and fixed her wedding broach between her breasts. Luckily, her corset was already on and her chemise from last night. Sleeping unclothed without her husband was not something she could do. 

Her hair was a tangled mess and so she fixed a bandeau on her head, and tied the rest of it up.

She opened the library door and Katherine realised her guest was peacefully reading. The newspaper made her pale a little, reminding her of the reason her guest was here and her husband was not. The knife seemed childish when an elderly man was feebly turning a page. “Mr Spence,” Katherine curtsied gracefully, her head lowered and stood up.