Chapter 14.

When Greyson walked into work the next day—after what could only be described as the best day he'd had in nearly five years—he did not expect Bridget to give him the silent treatment.

He'd walked in that morning with a grin on his face that he couldn't disguise. Ever since he drove Bridget home after their...moment, he hadn't been able to stop grinning. When he saw Bridget that morning sitting behind her desk with her eyes narrowed in concentration, he wanted nothing more than to walk over to her and kiss her again.

But his desire to do so was shattered when Bridget stood up from her desk and with a blank, emotionless look in her eyes and handed him some documents to look over without saying anything more then, "here's some more files to look over. Our interview with Jude and Daxton is today at noon." After that, she'd returned to her desk and continued glaring at the computer and writing something down on the notepad beside her.

Greyson felt like she'd just slammed the door in his face, all morning he hadn't been able to focus at all from 8:00 to 11:45. His frustration with her only increased in the car as he sat in the passenger seat when Bridget hardly gave him a second glance.

Finally, he couldn't take her silence anymore, he had to know why she was doing this to him. "Bridget, what's going on with you today?" He asked her firmly. He knew he should've had a nicer tone but at this point, he just wanted an explanation.

Bridget kept her eyes on the road, "What do you mean?"

"Don't give me that bullshit, I'd like to know why you haven't said a word to me since this morning." He was harsh but being civil was the last thing on his mind right now.

"Greyson, we have an interview in less than five minutes, I'd like to get on with that and discuss whatever you think the problem is afterwards." She said dismissively.

"What happened to maintaining a good relationship so we can do our best as partners at work?"

"I'm feeling fine, or I was until you started accusing me of acting distant." Bridget replied irritably.

Greyson took a deep breath to keep himself from yelling. "Bridget, I had a great time yesterday. And I think it ended on a pretty good note, aren't we going to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" Bridget retorted.

"The kiss, Bridget." Greyson turned and gave her a hard stare.

Bridget shut up immediately, her lips were pursed and words left her. She knew he was right but she was way too stubborn to let him know that. "Bridget, I know you. And I know that when you get scared, you avoid the subject. That's why you've been avoiding me all morning." Greyson said sincerely.

"You know—you know that's not true." She swallowed, her voice raising an octave.

"Why do I not believe a word you just said." He turned away and fixed his gaze on the school as he opened the car door and walked through the parking lot, not even looking back to see if she was following him or not.

—-

It was Jude they interviewed first. He was a lanky kid with pale skin and eyes that looked so far away from reality he could come across as a daydreamer, (unless you didn't know about his shack out in the woods).

"Hi Jude, we'd like to thank you for coming to meet with us today." Bridget started her recorder.

Jude sank in his chair and crossed his arms. He was wearing a white graphic t-shirt that looked too big for him and skinny jeans. Bridget disliked him immediately. "Well sweetheart, I must say you're the hottest detective I've ever seen." He licked his lips and Bridget felt her stomach drop, she felt like she was going to throw up.