Six Years Later - Part Two

"Why'd you do that for?" Dask asked, after I'd hung the phone up on his sad attempt at trying to talk to Clara.

I really didn't know. "I was saving you from yourself! Who knows what else you would've said! You're not exactly great at speaking on the phone, Dask."

"Thanks," he huffed to himself.

"Well it's true!" I laughed.

A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, his eyes met mine and he laughed. "Well you were no help!"

"What'd you want me to do? I hung the phone up before you sounded like an even bigger dork. That's helping!" I said and Dask smiled.

I still had Dask in a bear hug on top of me. I reluctantly released my arms from around him and he shifted his weight off me, then rolled to my side and rested his head on my shoulder. We both looked up at my bedroom ceiling, lost in our own thoughts. I was absentmindedly drawing circles with the pad of my thumb on his soft flesh on the inside of his elbow. He leaned in to me and hugged my side closer.

"Do you thinks Clara thinks you like her?" he asked quietly.

I turned my head to look at him. "What? Why?" I asked, surprised by his question.

"Well, now that I think about what I said, I think I made it sound like you liked her," Dask said.

I grinned. "Nah, but I think she now knows how inadequate you are on the phone," I joked. Then, to reassure him, "I don't think she thinks that I like her." I was getting kind of confused. "I hope," I added as an afterthought.

Dask smiled at me.

I grinned back at him and then turned to look back up at the ceiling. "What does it matter anyway? You two are together now," I reminded him.

"Yeah, but I screwed that call up a bit," he said.

"A bit? A bit!" I teased him.

"Yeah." He laughed.

"I'm pretty sure she realized it was you who liked her when I shouted down the phone that you wanted to go out with her." I laughed.

Then, I grew quiet as I remembered something. "I'm sorry I elbowed you," I told him, feeling a little guilty. 'It looked like it hurt when you fell..."

"...on my butt?" he finished, grinning at me.

"Yeah," I said, a little sheepishly.

"I'm fine Jo," he replied and turned to look back up at the ceiling.

"I know. Just, sorry, yeah." I said quietly, casting him a sideways glance.

He met my eyes with his soft blue ones. His dark, gold lashes lowered, casting shadows across the top of his cheeks. They fluttered a little, then lifted, and revealed the soft blue, dewy depths underneath that were always so ready to forgive me . "Okay Jo," he breathed softly.

I didn't deserve him. He's always forgiving me too easily. "Let me see." I said gently, and lightly tugged on the bottom edge of his shirt.

Dask lifted the bottom of his shirt up a little and I saw a small, faint red mark on one side of his lower stomach. I hoped it wouldn't bruise. What's wrong with me? I always get so worked up and impulsive when we're messing about. Though I never truly wanted to ever hurt him.

I gently circled my fingers around the pink blemish on his skin.

"Does it hurt at all?" I asked quietly.

"Its fine, Jo," he replied in a soft, husky voice.

Our eyes met. I hoped he saw in mine how much I never really wanted to hurt him. How I'd always do everything I could to protect him. "I'm sorry." I repeated.