CHAPTER 7: CABIN FEVER

"I'm so excited!" Ji-ho said as he lifted my suitcase into the trunk of his car. I had told my mom that this was a school trip and that my friend would be picking me up in the morning. She'd believed me, thinking we were going to the mountains of Oklahoma City. I was beyond excited, but I hid it behind a blank expression.

"I can't believe my mom agreed." I whispered as I lifted the bag up and immediately dropped it. It was too heavy, although, it didn't feel that heavy when I had packed it yesterday.

"Me neither. This is going to be so fun." I felt giddy as Ji-ho moved around me and picked up the suitcase that I'd been unable to lift.

"Are you feeling okay?" He suddenly asked.

"Yep!" I exclaimed, "why?"

"This bag is really light— and you couldn't..." he continued, I was feeling dizzy and light-headed, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. I'd gotten used to it.

"You're just really strong." I responded with a smile. He smiled back, tilting his head under the trunk of the van and looking at me with sparkling dark-brown eyes. My heart skipped a beat and I looked away at my mother who had just exited the front door of our duplex and was quickly approaching in her pajamas.

"Morning honey," she said, "I'll see you in the next two days, take care of yourself, okay! And tell me everything you learn about the geography of the mountains there! Call me twice a day." She hugged me, "why have you gotten so boney." She felt the need to point out and I ignored her comment on my weight and hugged her back.

"Thanks for letting me go." I smiled, my balance was on strike when she released me and I quickly grasped Ji-ho's arm to steady myself. "Sorry." I muttered, flustered.

"And it's very nice to meet you Jy-oh, Phoebe has told me a lot about you. I am sure you'll be a good friend to her over this trip and keep her out of trouble." Mom said, completely butchering his name and threatening him all in one breath.

"Of course Mrs. Masters. I'll take care of Phoebes like she's a glass castle." He grinned cheekily, shifting his gaze to see my reaction before returning his eyes to my mother.

"Okay," mom said warily, "do you have everything?" She asked and I nodded. I walked over to the passenger seat and hopped in. Mom hugged me one more time as Ji-ho shut the trunk and climbed into the driver's-side seat. I felt reckless and rebellious and slightly guilty for lying to my mom— but I knew she'd never have let me go otherwise. "Stay safe, I love you." Mom said as Ji-ho started the car.

"Bye mom!" I said at the same time as Ji-ho said, "bye Mrs. Masters!"

He backed out of my driveway and turned on the radio, blasting a song that we both liked listening to. He drove for a couple minutes before parking in front of his house.

"Finally!" His sister rushed outside as his mother followed and started speaking in Korean. I couldn't understand a thing they were saying, but the language sounded very cool.

"Hello! Nice to meet you." His mother bowed, speaking in a light accent as I mirrored her behavior.

"Nice to meet you too." I smiled at her. She began speaking again in Korean and looking between me and Ji-ho. It seemed like she was commenting on my appearance— maybe the way I dressed or the size I was. I noticed that I was significantly larger than his mother. She was stunning: thin, tall, beautiful. Ji-ho's mother was everything I aspired to be.

"Let's get this show on the road!" A broad, tall hispanic man rushed out of the house holding giant suitcases. He made them look like they were light as he casually lifted them.

"Phoebe, this is my dad." He smiled as the man approached and tossed the suitcases in the trunk beside mine.

"Hi! Nice to meet you." He said as I repeated the words back to him. I looked between him and Ji-ho in shock. They looked too similar in height and stature.