1

February 14, 2020.

Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.

It was raining outside. The pitter patter sounds the drops made as they connected with the rooftops and floors of the houses in Lagos filled the air, reverberating and floating in the humid atmosphere.

  I drew in a breath and let it out, my eyes scanning the file being displayed on the screen of my laptop.

  Due to the unhappy weather, I was unable to go to work. But that didn't stop me from working from home. Being the owner of a successful architectural organization at twenty seven had its profits. But, at the same time, it had some major hurdles, annoying hurdles.

  For example, I always left the house pretty early in the morning so I could get to work on time, yet, I was one of the last to leave the building. And I had the welfare of the company solely on my shoulders—

  My phone beeped, its screen coming to life on the bed beside me. A message from my personal assistant flashed in the screen. With a slightly annoyed huff, I snatched it up from the bed and clicked on it to open the message.

  Douché:

  Today's valentine! And it's raining, so I'm not coming to work. Don't care if you understand or not. I'mma be home with my baby, you should probably do the same.

  I couldn't help but scoff at the message. The only reason why my personal assistant could develop the liver to send that kind of message was because he was the closest person to me, aside my fiancee.

  He wasn't my best friend. We were just really tight.

  Knowing the kind of person he was, if this company was left in his care, he would probably pass the responsibility on to the next person and take a nap. It was a miracle he was even able to sustain a relationship. He hadn't been abke to do that in months now.

  I put the phone off and flung it to the opposite side of the bed. Then watched it bounce twice and fall to the floor with a crash. I looked away. There was no way it would have broken. Expensive phones weren't supposed to break.

  With a sigh, I cracked my knuckles and moved my head from side to side to free the stiff bones in my neck. Then I let my fingers hover above the laptop keypad.

  I'd received a contract from the government to design a senate building right here in Lagos. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a load of stress. But looking on the bright side, this was going to pay off. This contract was going to be the next big thing for me. So I was pretty stoked about it.

  Just as I was about to type in the text which was supposed to go on the building design, the door opened with a small creak. I frowned for a second, making a mental note to call the carpenter and have him fix that later.

  My frown dissipated when my fiancee popped her head into the room, scanning it for a moment and stopping to send me a bright smile when our gazes locked. Her braids fell to the side like a waterfall, right beside her head and her hand gripped the edge of the doorway.

  A smile came upon me at the sight of her.

  "Hey there."

  Her lips parted into a grin. "Hey," she replied, voice slightly chapped, like it always was.