7

February 19, 2020.

Outside Le Food Court, Lagos, Nigeria.

His eyes were wide, knuckles white from holding on to the car door so tightly. Sounds of him breathing could be heard from where I sat: each breath coming fast, like he'd run a marathon. Just like mine, his chest was heaving.

  If it was possible, my eyes went wider. "You saw her!" It wasn't a question, just a disbelieving exclamation. Guess I wasn't delusional after all. Someone else could see her, which meant I wasn't insane—yet.

  My eyebrows pulled together as I tried to calm the adrenaline in my system. "How?" I breathed.

  The first time Bukola had appeared to me, I'd been with Lara. And she didn't see her. Thinking about it, I was beginning to wonder how I could see her. With a groan of frustration and fear, I ran a hand over my face.

  It felt like I was in a Nollywood movie.

  I heard the man chuckle breathlessly. He put one foot into the car and slipped into the passengers seat without permission. Not like I really cared right then. First, I had to think of a way to solve this madness. I had to move away with Lara, as soon and far away as possible. If Bukola couldn't find us then she'd probably give up and go back to wherever she came from.

  "You need to calm down. If you don't, you could go crazy," he told me.

  My eyes twitched in annoyance. "Calm down? I'm being haunted by my ex girlfriend's ghost and you're the only one who can see her apart from me. I don't even know how you can see her or what you did that made her leave so suddenly. Yet, you still have the nuts to tell me to calm down?" I laughed humorlessly at his blank expression. "For your information, I am taking this situation quite calmly. I'm sure anyone in my shoes would have lost their mind by now."

  A corner of his lips tugged upwards. "Maybe," he said, "you have lost your mind already."

  I gave him a look. Of course he would choose now to be an idiot. "Leave my car," I said.

  "You don't want me to do that," he stared me dead in the eye while I glared back. An annoying smile took over his face. "Trust me, you don't."

  I considered him for a while, still glaring. Then I spoke. "You said you had a solution. Tell me what it is and how you can see ghosts, and maybe then I wouldn't throw you out of this car."

  This wasn't what I was supposed to be dealing with. When he'd said he had a solution, I'd expected him to spit it out and get it over with, not taunt me the more. I still needed to check on Lara, find out if she was okay. I could arrange a flight out of the country before the end of the day and we'd be gone before Bukola could reach us.

  While I prayed silently for Lara's wellbeing, I also prayed that what he had to say was good. For his own sake. I already had a solution.

  The brown haired man exhaled and turned in his seat to face me, suddenly putting on a serious look. The spoon in his hand reflected the light of the sun mildly.

  "Look, you obviously know nothing about ghosts. But, considering she didn't pull any funny tricks, I'm guessing your ghost hasn't been in the haunting business for too long. If she had, she would have tried to start the car, or teleport the both of your elsewhere."

  My eyebrows kissed my hairline. "Ghosts can do that?"

  "Apart from the inability to be touched, they can do almost anything." He shrugged, gaze flickering down.