Chapter 13

long chapter as an apology for my extremely late updates. school and covid has been kicking my ass - so yeah, enjoy :)

"Hey," Garrett beams in my direction as I step foot in his car but the second I fall into the material of the seat, his smile turns into a frown, "are you okay?"

"Oh," I nod quickly and try my hardest to force a smile, "yeah, just a tiring day." This was no lie, I did have a tiring day, all because a man that I'm having a secret fling with had a beautiful blonde stranger roaming his home.

"Okay," he shrugs and propels the car forward as soon as I buckle in, "well, do you still feel up to go to the bar? I mean, if you're tired-"

"Absolutely," I desperately snap, "I need to get out of my room. I need a drink."

"I have to say," Garrett started, completely ignoring my subconscious cry for help, "I feel quite honored that you came to me for a good time."

"You should be," I confidently replied as I peered over to him smiling behind the wheel, which led me to copy his actions.

His perfectly structured side profile was quite significant to look at. His lips newly wet, the wetness was noticeably highlighted from the streetlights that we continued to pass. His hair fell perfectly behind his ears, allowing every sliver of brunette to complement his olive skin.

He glances over while I still watch him, our eyes interlock for only a few seconds before he fixes his attention on the road again, as he should. As Garrett drives down the low lit road, I try to focus on each painted yellow line that the car swallows every half a second and I notice that he turns up the music once the sides of the doors vibrate to the beat of the song.

"You mind?" he asks over the music.

"No," I shake my head and offer him another smile. This time his smile seemed to grow immensely, giving me a feeling of sensation in my stomach. Fuck.

"So," he licks the brim of his upper bottom lip, "would this be considered our second date then?"

My eyes immediately widen when the word 'date' escapes his mouth, leaving me to fidget with my fingers that lay in my lap. Dating isn't an unfamiliar topic between Garrett and I but it still isn't a comfortable one, at least for me. The concept of us in a romantic parallel has of course slipped my mind a few times but thanks to Nick, it often easily found a way out due to the mental image of Nick's hair, body, lips, rings,hands-

God, I need to stop.

"Do you want it to be?" I finally responded.

"Not sure," he shrugs innocently, catching me by surprise, "I imagined our second date to maybe be somewhere at a park, maybe a lake. We could bring some lunch and hide out for a while."

The second he described our imaginary second date in the outdoors, my mind flashes back to the day Nick brought me to Tallulah State Park. I cringe internally from the thought of Nick and I lingering the transparent waters and walking the ancient dirt pathways not too long ago. As I secretly reminisce about the tender moments of last week, I realize that Garrett is waiting for me to reply.

"I prefer the lake," I say, knowing that agreeing to his idea would give me more time to think about the idea of him and I, "but only if we eat chicken."

"Chicken?" he chuckles in my direction.

"Like the movie "To Catch a Thief", Cary Grant and Grace Kelly eat chicken on their picnic," I confidently sigh, "so as long as there's chi-"