Chapter 5: Illiana

Chapter 5: Illiana

What was he doing here? Why was he here? I had just met him outside, just met him by the lake. The man told me that he was visiting a friend.

My father was his friend? It cannot be. He cannot tell my father what had happened, that I had left the palace and that we had met. If he did, I did not even want to imagine the price that would be paid.

"So, is this Illiana?" An elderly woman stepped forward, a bright smile on her pleasant face. As she stepped closer, I realized that there were no wrinkles on her face, no sense of fear or exhaustion. She seemed happy, pleased at life, and that confused me.

How could she be so happy with the constant threat of pain, a beating that could occur at any time. How could she be happy with the idea of never being able to be more than what her husband would allow? None of that made sense to me. None of that provided a single idea of what it would be like.

Did she really come to accept her life, the pain, the suffering? Could she really be alright with it?

"Come forward, child. Let us get a good look at you." The woman laughed brightly, her hand held out for me to grab onto. Lillian's hand tightened around mine, a small whimper slipping from her lips.

I could feel Father's eyes glaring at me, studying me and I knew, then, I had no choice. Whatever game he was playing, whatever he had planned, I had no choice but to play along. Gently slipping my hand away from Lillian's, I stepped forward, my hand rising towards the woman. She smiled brighter still, her her eyes twinkled with amusement as she pulled me forward, placing me into the middle of the room.

"She is a beauty, at least." Another woman smiled as she walked forward, her eyes filled with as much amusement as the first. "But she is far to thin." She muttered under her breath, her eyes rolling up to the heavens before glancing back at me. "Not like that is incredibly important, I'm sure who ever you get married to will make sure you are well taken care of." She laughed loudly, her hand rising and tapping my cheek gently.

I swallowed nervously as she turned around, my stomach dropping as my eyes turned to stare at my father. That really was what he wanted, he wanted me to be married. After everything that had happened, everything I had suffered and witnessed, he still was not done trying to destroy me.

There was no way that I would willingly marry. Willingly have a child. But I knew that it was fruitless, that I would have no say in either situations. Why, why did life have to be like this?

"Well, you three, come forth." The first woman called and I watched as three men walked forward, one of them was the man I had met earlier. "These three are the bachelors, my dear. My own son, High Prince Reginald." His eyes lingered on mine for a moment before bowing.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Illiana." Prince Reginald emphasized on the word 'princess' just enough for me to realize it. I curtsied slightly, feeling as if a fist was squeezing at my lungs, stopping me from breathing. Please, do not say anything about earlier. I am begging. Please. Say nothing.

"The one next to him is Prince Ethan, King Dimitri and Queen Kisa's youngest son." The woman beside me beamed proudly as the next man stepped forward. His hair was a darker shade than Reginald's, almost black. The man was smaller as well, leaner, but the blade strapped around his waist showed that he still knew how to fight.

"He's a good boy." A man who looked similar to Prince Ethan chuckled and I could only wonder if that was Ethan's father.

"And the final one is Prince Peter, King Neal and Queen Samantha's only son." The last of the three, thinner still, bowed as well, the sunlight glinting off his golden yellow hair. The two older people in the back, both blond, stood smiling proudly. Both of them watching as their son bowed as well.