Chapter 2: Illiana

Chapter 2: Illiana

"Sissy?" My eyes fluttered open as I turned to see my youngest sister, Lillian, standing next to my bed. Her bright blue eyes stared at me, tears streaming down her bright red cheeks as her arms tightened around the blanket she had grasped in her arms. "Sissy, are you alright?" She asked, her voice filled with sorrow.

"I'm fine." I told her, shoving myself up. Pain exploded from my abdomen as the fabric around me tightened considerably. Biting my inner lip, I help out my arms for my sister, calling her forward with a hug. She folded in my arms, her head resting on my chest as her shoulders shook with sobs. I held her close, unwilling to allow her to leave or cry on her own. "It's going to be alright." I whispered, stroking her hair.

"W-what if you die?" She sobbed, her small hands rose and latched around my arm as if holding onto me was the only way to stay by me. "Sissy, I don't wanna lose you."

"You won't." I told her and she shook her head, pulling herself away from me, her eyes glaring into mine.

"Is it true that something is broken inside of you?" She demanded, her eyes filled with tears and worry. "Leo told us that you were hurt because of us. Is that true?"

"No." I whispered, my hand brushing against her cheek, wiping the tears away. "Sweety, none of this was or is anyone's fault. Leo, well he didn't mean it like that. I'm sure. It's just, for now, we have to be careful. To behave so no one gets hurt." She nodded and curled back up into my arms, her head resting on my right shoulder.

"Sissy? Can we leave here? Go somewhere else where no one will hurt us?" Lillian asked. My heart broke as I held her, unable to answer even the simplest of question. How could I tell my sister that there was no escape?

*

The clouds slid along in the morning sky, flying freely to their destination. Nothing was holding them back, stopping them. They were free. I sighed softly before turning from the window, my eyes glancing back to the bed where my youngest sister lay lost in her dreams. The memories of the night before floated back into my mind as I stared at her. How could I tell her that there was nothing else for us? That this was the way we were to live?

There was a reason why I only read books with endings that would make us smile. A story that would help us escape from this world now, so that, for a short while, we can be free. That's what we wanted after all. We wanted to be free.

"Illy, are you in there?" A young voice called from the other side of the door. A small smile appeared on my lips as I turned and walked over, pulling the door open to see the only other girl in the family, Alison. Her brown hair was in a ruffled mess and her arms tightened around her middle, her night gown scrunching beneath her. Next to her was her twin, Victor. His dark green eyes stared up at me with worry and I knew that Leo told them as well.

"Are you well, Illy?" Alison demanded, her nine year old eyes clouded over with tears. I nodded in response and she smiled, sliding her arms around me as she gently hugged me.

"Leo told us Father hurt you." Victor protested and I turned to him and smiled, unable to tell him the truth. At least, not all of it.

"I'm fine, Victor. And at least I'm not still in my pajamas." I teased, glancing over the both of them. They shrugged in response which didn't surprise me. It wasn't the first time that they had come to me in their pajamas and I highly doubt it would be the last.

"Everyone was so worried when Leo told us you were resting in your room." Alison muttered, her bottom lip shook slightly as if she was trying not to cry. "I was worried."

"I know, my dear. For now, let's not worry about it. Why don't the two of you get dressed and we can go get something to eat and then go play outside." I told them and they nodded once before turning and disappearing down the hall and back into their rooms.