"We should probably talk about what happened earlier," you say after a moment.

"You had to do what you had to. You got out of there without being shot." He keeps his eyes on the road. You look out the window.

"You, you get it right? That I was trying to build a connection with her. I don't actually..." your words trail off. He gives a small nod, and you sit in silence.

The simple fact that you both chose to ignore was that there was truth to what you had said.

The car ride is quiet and admittedly a bit awkward. You arrive at the airport, watching as the team boards the jet.

"I'll be there in a minute. You should probably go in" he says, his deep voice breaking the silence. You nod, getting out of the car and up to the jet stairs. You watch as he drives off.

"Hey, it's lover girl!" Derek welcomes you as soon as you get on the jet. You roll your eyes, plopping down in a table seat.

"So, you and Hotch, huh?" He sits in the seat across from you.

"Shut up Derek. I was just held at gunpoint, I'm pretty sure I deserve at least a 'hello' before the teasing starts."

"She right, Morgan" JJ scolds. She sets a hot cup of coffee in front of you, sitting across from you "how did the hospital go?"

"Pretty well. I'm concussion-free!" You say, giving a light smile.

"Did you know Kurt Vonnegut died of a concussion at 87?" Reid asks "he fell down a flight of stairs.

"Who the hell is Kurt Vonnegut?" Derek questions.

"He was a famous writer" Reid states as if an obvious answer, "he wrote satirical counterculture pieces."

"Well, I'm glad your alright, y/n" Emily offers, patting your hand comfortingly.

"Yea, that secretary broad hit you pretty good" Rossi adds, not taking his eyes off his newspaper.

"She did." your fingers trace the now bandaged cut around your forehead.

"She also made you sing like a bird. Quite a show." Derek throws his head back in laughter.

"I was building a connection with her Derek." You defend yourself "I used her name repeatedly, made her feel in control, revealed an embarrassing secret, gave her a way out. I built an alliance with her so she wouldn't perceive me as a threat and she would let me go. Textbook hostage de-escalation technique."

"Why Hotch? Why not chocolate thunder or boy genius?" Emily asks.

"He's my boss," you say simply, taking a sip of coffee "she was in love with her boss, the man she worked for. If I was going to build a connection, it would make more sense to say him because she would relate more to it."

"Y/n, you're a lot of things" Derek states "but above them all, you're a horrible liar. I was looking at you when you said all those things. Seemed pretty truthful to me."

"Well, I suppose when there's a barrel of a gun against your head, you learn quickly." You shoot back.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed, y/n," Spencer attempts to comfort you "Bosses generally serve as role models and inspiration in the office. Combine with the fact that Hotch is considered an 'alpha male' and you have a pretty good recipe for female attraction."

"Spencer, I don't-"

"She did what she had to do to keep herself from getting shot. I suggest we drop the subject. We caught the unsub, there's no need to relive the case." Everyone goes silent, slowly turning their heads to the doorway. As you suspected, Hotch is standing against the doorway.