20 | Percy

A/N: A special thanks and dedication to Amethystheart4ever for their continued support of this story. I hope you—and anyone else who takes the time to read it—enjoy this chapter and the ones to come. Only 6 more after this!

Percy's POV

738 words

"The issue on the table is as follows: my husband has permitted any god or goddess to intervene in the quest to defeat Thoon if said giant claims responsibility for the recent monster attacks that have been directed towards the camps and the demigods as well as a few mortals," Hera states formally.

Then Apollo supplies the prophecy once more:

"The hygienist shall wipe the blood away
As mortal heroes join the fray.
Into madness, the Russian goes,
And only malice, the giant knows.
When sea and wine disperse the veil,
Fifteen are needed to prevail."

"Cleo represents the hygienist and has fulfilled the first line according to Abrax, my chamberlain. Abrax also confirmed the second line. The mortal heroes, the Avengers, have teamed up with our demigods," I say.

"Do we know of the next line? What is a 'Russian'?" Hygea asks.

"Russia is a country," Hermes explains, "so a Russian is someone from Russia."

Dionysus speaks next. "My kid has performed a skill few of my children possess. I felt it. They have cured insanity. Most likely for this Russian. It's safe to say that line has been completed."

"I've been confused by the fourth line this whole time. 'Only malice, the giant knows'. Why is it telling us this?" Artemis wonders.

"It may be a hint towards his plans. He seeks only malice. We've been convinced Thoon seeks revenge against Percy," Poseidon comments, "but what if that was just to gain followers? What if his true intentions are just to spite us all. To do evil. No ulterior motives."

"Yes, it would help us ensure we stay on target with our goals. Perseus would not be roped into doing something rash because his loyalty is not at play. As much as it would be if this was an act of revenge, that is. Thoon is not doing this to avenge Mother Earth or Protogenos of the Abyss. He is doing this to be malicious," Athena wisely adds.

"That's great and all," Hades remarks sarcastically, "but we still have a problem. How do we get Thoon to admit to orchestrating everything so we can step in and help?"

"Yes, that shall be our primary objective. Our children cannot fight another war," Hephaestus insists. "Automatons would be better. They don't break as easily."

"I agree with my husband," Aphrodite grudgingly admits. "I don't wish my children to fight anymore. It's not good for their manicures."

"I say we send in an operative! Trick Thoon into his confession!" Ares proposes with conviction.

"That's not a bad idea," Demeter concedes. "But how would we do it? Who would we send in? If we told someone about it now and specifically instructed them to help, we'd still be intervening."

"May I suggest something?" Hestia inquires.

Everyone inclines their head to the respectable Olympian, Tender of the Hearth.

"Could we send one who has already been informed of my brother's ruling? Someone who would not need persuasion to help us. They could be our... what was the word? Operative?"

Hestia'a pronunciation is a little off, but that doesn't take away from the her intelligent idea. Many tell you that how you say something is just as important as what you say, but too often people judge how someone speaks more than the actual words and ideas someone shares. Focusing on the suggestion rather than her mispronunciation, the thirteen others and I nod in agreement. We see the promise in Hestia's words. Her plan might just work.

"I believe I can help," I offer. "Abrax, who I mentioned earlier, has already guided these mortals and the demigods. He was made aware of the original ruling. I could simply remind him of the specific wording, amend the order, and then ask him to deliver a completely irrelevant message to one of the mortals. That would give him reason to go to them. Should he then decide, and I am confident he will, to pressure Thoon into a confession, it would not be due to our interference."

"Relying on a servant's free will?" Poseidon mutters uncertainly.

"A loyal friend's fee will," I assure them.

"I second the motion. I trust in Perseus's judgment regarding this... friend... to do the right thing. If anyone can judge loyalty, it is him," Athena declares in support.

"Is it settled then?" Hygea ascertains.

A chorus of "yes" goes ground the room, so I flash out to grab Abrax.