"I wouldn't be surprised if there is mutation involved. Like I said, spiders don't group this many. They're usually territorial on their grounds"

***

They didn't have time for breaks as the gang immediately suited up for another jungle expedition with a few soldiers leading the way, the team marched through the thick jungle with their eyes peeled open for any unusual signs of mutation or anything perceived as a threat.

Mendel grumbled as he tried swatting away flies that were buzzing around his face only to yelp when he tripped over a plant vine "Want some?" Randy asked, handing him a bottle "It's a sunblock and bug repellant all in one" Randy said. Mendel gratefully applied it to his face. Cordula looked at Randy who shot her a wink "Oh boy..." Cordula groaned, mentally slapping her head.

"Wow..." Elsie said as she picked up a bright and pink flower "Beautiful" Elsie commented before showing it to Cordula who took a small sniff "Smells lovely too" Elsie grinned and decided to pocket the flowers for souvenir. Nick looked at the trees for a bit before he glanced down and saw a spider crawling away. He quickly encased it in a jar before it got away. Elsie found similar spiders moving up on a tree and encased one as well "Lot's of these fellas around" Elsie commented as Nick stood beside her "Yeah, I noticed" Nick said with suspicion in his tone.

Cordula glanced at the jar that housed the spider and narrowed her eyes at the markings on the spider's back "I recognized that mark, I just forgot where I saw that" Cordula mumbled as Elsie placed the jar in her backpack and they continued on their way. What the group didn't know was that they were being followed as thousands of spiders slowly closed off the exit point of the group.

The group followed along the path until Hicks suddenly shouted "HALT!" The group stopped when they realized they reached a fork in the road "Let's split up into two groups and meet back here in 15 minutes" Hicks suggested and no one had any room for argument "Randy and I will accompany Major Hicks" Monique said to which Nick consented as the group went on their separate ways.

Cordula rubbed her arms and kept glancing around the trees and shrubs to the point Mendel took notice "Are you okay?" He asked as he also looked around, wondering what Cordula could be seeing or trying to find "I'm fine its just. Do you get the feeling of being watched?" That was probably the wring thing to say when Mendel suddenly looked around "Mendel would you relax, it's just a feeling" Cordula said before pushing Mendel towards the group "Remind me again why I took this job?"

Mendel asked "Because you love to research new things?" Cordula cringed, that was more of a statement than a question but it did made Mendel at ease on something rather than being afraid of something watching them based on a 'feeling'. "Ya think its possible those arachnids did all this by themselves?" Elsie asked Nick "On the normal level I would say impossible but if you that to a mutation level well..." Cordula frowned as did Nick as he considered Cordula's words before Mendel bumped into Elsie to which the woman turned only to scream out in surprise and for Nick and Cordula to hitch their breath to prevent reacting out loud.

Feeling eyes on him, Mendel looked at the three in confusion "What?" He asked and when no one answered for a few seconds, simply staring at him it mad him think there was something on him "What?! Is something on me?" Mendel asked as he turned and tried to swat at an invisible thing on him. "It-It's nothing be shocked at Mendel...it's uh..." Cordula stammering over words made Mendel slightly panicky.

"Cordula's right...sort of..." Elsie added "Uh...Its your face" Nick said with a weird look on his face. He had seen a lot of things in the past few months and this is the first time he's seen an immediate skin change of a human body "What?! What wrong with it?!" Mendel asked in a panicked state. "There's nothing wrong with it! It looks pretty normal" Cordula said, trying to calm him down.