Chapter Twenty-One || bonus chapter

Start from the beginning

On the way to Teagan and Caspian's house, I was put in the car with Eris and Sawyer while Xavier went with Blaise. So I didn't get to talk to him like I had planned, but then again if I had tried to sus out the situation between us in the car it would have either ended with the awkward silence of being in the same car with Blaise or the squeals of an over-excited Eris. Which I could not deal with right now, so I knew I would just have to wait until I got to the house.

A few hours after we had arrived, everyone gathered outside because we were getting ready to eat. I see a familiar brown-haired boy trying to sneak up on me from the corner of my eye. What is this boy up to?

"Xavier," I warn, narrowing my eyes at the guilty suspect who now has stopped moving altogether, putting his hands behind his back and smiling innocently at me.

"Summer," He drawls out my name, innocently. Batting his eyelashes like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. His eyes quickly divert to the clear, blue pool beside us before zeroing in on me once again.

I frown, "if you do what I think you are going to do, don't."

"Do what?" He looks around him as if he was just standing there the whole time, "I wasn't doing anything." His lips curl up the slightest bit and that's enough to make me want to run for the hills... not a Hill.

I hear our friends' snickers from around us and mentally slap them all across the face.

"Mhmm. Like I believe that." I roll my eyes, turning my body around so I don't have to look at his guilty smirk.

I hear footsteps coming towards me, and knowing it's Xavier, I don't move. Instantly regretting it when I see the amused looks on everyone's faces. Oh shit.

He throws me over his shoulder and I squeal in surprise which makes him chuckle, throwing his head back.

"Put me down, dickhead." I demand, hitting his back harshly, only making him laugh harder.

"No can do, Daniels." He tells me, but before I can scream in protest he throws me into the pool.

He's dead. I'm gonna kill him.

Cold water envelopes me, and I flinch. Trying to get out as soon as possible, I bounce off the floor of the pool and take in a deep breath once my head comes up for air. I hear a splash coming from my right and soon after Xavier's head pops out. He brushes his hair away from his face, water droplets cascading down his muscular arms.

Not the time Summer. Not the time.

He smirks, winking at me. He's dead.

"You... you..." I stumble on my words, trying my best not to explode from pure rage.

"You?" He places his hand behind his ear, prompting me to finally release all my pent-up anger.

"You annoying prick! Why can't you just leave me alone." I whispered the latter, my hand pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance as I huff out a strangled breath.

"Awww. You know deep down you don't want that, Sum." He smirks, acting as if there's a deeper meaning behind his words.

This idiot. He knows that the others don't know about the extra time we've been spending together, and now it's only going to make them suspicious. Anger boils through me, but I can't seem to get any words out, only saying a small response.

"Whatever," I mutter before reaching the pool edge and storming into the house with a murderous glare.

I make my way upstairs, trying to swallow the lump that's forming in my throat.

Once I get to the bedroom I always stay in when I come here, I head straight for the en-suite, stripping my clothes off and turning the shower on before I can even catch my breath.

Why does he do this to me?

When we're alone he's the sweetest guy I have ever met. Cheering me up when I'm feeling down about some test I failed, or whenever I feel sad in general. He makes me feel safe and... loved?

But when we're in school or with our friends, it's like he's on a mission to embarrass or annoy me and make me feel unsafe. Unloved. I hate that side of him because I know that that isn't the real Xavier. It just can't be.

I get out of the shower and get changed into leggings and an oversized sweatshirt, a towel wrapped around my wet hair. As I settle on my bed the sound of a throat clearing brings my attention to the door. I look up, leaning on my forearms as I stay laying down on the bed. My eyes meet pools of grey. My body immediately reacts. My heart speeds up and my breathing hitches.

Why does he have to look like that?

He's changed his clothes and is now dry, running a towel through his hair as he walks into the room.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," I mumble, lying my head back down on the bed, not giving him the satisfaction of having my attention.

He doesn't say anything, but I know he's still there. He shuffles his feet over to the bed, his face is passive, not giving away anything. He lays down beside me, but not close enough to touch me.

"You know I can't do that, Sum." His voice is rough, almost upset. My head snaps to face his, I furrow my eyebrows at his side profile.

"What does that even mean, Xavier?" I run my hands down my face in frustration. "What do I know? Because honestly..." I shake my head incredulously, tears threatening to run down my face, "I don't know what to think about you anymore, Xav. Or us."

"What?" He looks over at me, confusion drawn in his features.

"You're so confusing. When we're with our friends or anyone, it's as if you're trying to get a rise out of me. And then when it's just us..." I close my eyes and take a deep breath before continuing, "you're a completely different person. I can't keep up with you!"

"Well, how do you think I feel, Summer?!" We both are sitting up from the bed now, his arms flailing around the place in anger. He rolls his eyes and runs a hand through his brown mop of hair. "I mean, god, Sum. You act as though you don't do the same to me."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"When we're with everyone you become... distant. You don't talk to me. That's why I try and piss you off. It's either that or you won't even acknowledge my existence and I can't live like that." I stare at him, my face is blank but my mind is going crazy.

We both just sit on the bed, staring into each other's eyes. Not saying a single word. The noise was our labored breaths.

"Did you ever think that perhaps I would talk to you if you didn't make fun of me all the time? It's not a nice feeling, Xav. And if you wanted to talk to me all you had to do was ask." I speak quietly, looking at the duvet, and tracing the patterns with my finger.

"It's not that simple, Summer." I look up, only to see that he's staring right back at me.

God, he's beautiful.

"Nothing's ever simple with you," I whisper before standing back up and walking out of the room.

❀❀❀

sorry for the delay
exam season is upon us and
i'm stressing.
love you guys
and i hope you guys enjoyed.