Chapter 2: The Creek

I wake up abruptly to a bright white light shining directly onto my closed eyelids in the middle of the night, and I make the fast discovery that the light is in fact the beam of a torch. With the light still blinding me, I hear a soft voice say, "Come with me".

When the direction of the torches beam diverts from my face, I locate the speaker. It was a young girl, only a few years older than me, but I'm definitely taller than her. Her long black hair is pulled into a tight ponytail with no stray hairs, falling over the shoulder of her black blazer.

Thank God someone is here to save me- I really thought my life was over!

She offers me her hand and pulls me from the boot of the wrecked car.

"How did this happen?" She asks her face displaying no concern what-so-ever. Had she seen Finn in the front of the car yet? Who is she, and why is she driving in the middle of nowhere?

And then I see it. Parked only a few meters down the dark road is another car. Her car. A black range rover with no numberplate- just like Finn's. She is... or was... working with him. Are they in the MAFIA? Will I get to live out my One Direction fanfiction life? Ugh, I wish.

I take a step back from her, raising my hands as an indication for her to not step any closer to me. I almost expect her to threaten me, beat me up or put a sack over my head, but she merely knits her eyebrows together before quickly relaxing her face into a soft smile.

"You can trust me, Blair". She knows my name? "My name is Celine, and I work for the Californian Spy Agency or the CSA".

In complete disbelief, I stare back at her in shock, unable to form any sentences. "What?" I mutter.

"It wasn't meant to go like this," she says, gesturing her arm towards the wreckage. "Don't worry, Finn is going to be all right. I have people on their way to come and bring him back to the agency- you just come with me" she says, and she takes my hand. I go without a fight because, well, I don't really have a choice. Who else was coming to save me?

Sitting in the passenger seat, Celine began to further explain things, and I explained exactly what happened to the car. Celine was sweet, constantly reassuring me Finn was not in fact a kidnapper. Aaaand ... now I feel bad because I think I may have caused Finn some serious damage for no reason. But hey, at least he's alive!

She explained that the Government has an agency in each state and selected very few teenagers to train as agents and go on missions. As she talks, I am only half listening. Is this really my life now? Or second life? Am I living a secret life as a cool spy and nobody at my school will get to know? Honestly, what's the point?

Interrupting Celine, I ask "why me? I mean, why was I chosen out of everyone else in the state?"

"Well," her shoulders shrug "I don't exactly know much about you, selecting isn't my job. But it could be because of your grandmother. Blair, did she ever tell you what her job was?"

What does my nanna have to do with anything, and why is Celine asking about her? Honestly, this is getting weirder by the second. "She was a nurse, I think".

"That was a lie. Your grandmother, Heather Berkley was a spy". Celine says matter-of-factly.

I sit still in complete disbelief, for the first time in my life I am speechless. All this time I've been listening to her talk about which of her friends win at the weekly bingo nights her local community center, listening to her explain how to knit and hem pant legs (which is unnecessary for me as I am slightly taller than average) when she could have been telling me stories about literal spy missions? I feel ripped off!