Chapter Nineteen: A Bit Better

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY
fragments || five hargreeves x reader

CHAPTER NINETEEN: A BIT BETTER

Written By: peachyhxlland

°•.☆.•°

"You've got a good nose." The Handler said.

"You know, planting her in a psych ward, taking advantage of my simpleton brother, that was smart." Five responded, still not lifting his foot up from Lila's throat.

"Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." The Handler replied, looking down at Lila.

Five paused for a moment before turning to the Handler. "She's your—"

"Daughter." The Handler finished. "Yes. And she's my only one, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't crush her windpipe. Lila choked and gasped for air. Reluctantly, Five finally let Lila go as she cried out of pain, panting, and finally standing up. She glared at Five, smirking. "I am so going to enjoy killing you someday."

"Lila, darling, would you give us a minute, please?"

Five nodded. "Yes, the grown-ups need to talk." Lila turned to the Handler and she nodded. Lila rolled her eyes, walking away as Five smirked. Lila threw a metal scrap off in annoyance.

Five turned to face the Handler. "What is it you want?"

"Do you like jazz, Five?" The Handler asked, stomping her cigarette off.

"I'd rather lick a cheese grater."

"Aww. Jazz is like a beautiful woman." The Handler walked around as she talks. "Complex, emotional, hard to please. She doesn't just give it to you... she makes you work for it."

"I'm really hoping that you're going somewhere with this."

"Under my leadership, the Commission would sound more like..." The Handler stepped forward to Five, raising her hands up as she whispered. "... jazz." She mimicked soft jazz rhythm.

"And what about the board of directors?" Five questioned.

"Well, that's where you come in." The Handler answered, poking his nose. Five shook his head in disagreement. "Nope. No, it isn't."

"In exchange for the assassination of the board, I'm willing to get you and your family out of this timeline and back to 2019 where you belong."

"And what about World War III that's due to kick off in just a few days?"

"Once you and your siblings are gone, that goes away."

"And the apocalypse when we get back to 2019?"

"That too."

"I distinctly remember you telling me that the apocalypse had to happen, that it was supposed to happen."

The Handler walked as she stopped behind Five. "Back then I was toeing the company line, but once I'm in charge..." The Handler softly danced as she mimicked the jazz rhythm. The Handler got uncomfortably close to Five. "... we can riff..."

"Jazz." Five finished.

"Exactly."

Five walked away from her, thinking about her offer, his hands combing up on his hair in distress. "What about the board of directors, hmm? I mean, nobody knows who they are."

"Correct. But once every fiscal quarter, they get together for a board meeting."

"Where?"

"The question is when. They meet somewhere in the timeline but never in the same place twice. The exact location and date of these board meetings is the most closely-guard secret in the Commission."