Chapter 14 - Mind Is Strange

Talking to the Queen of the Seelie Court, a woman who has ruled the twisted world of the Fair Folk for almost thousands of years, was a game of cat and mouse. One wrong move or even a word can send one tumbling into their demise.

Thankfully, nothing bad had happened when Allison and the others sat beside the Queen and were pretending to eat out of sheer courtesy. She sat on a silky cushion near the Queen's divan. The softness of it was soothing and warmed her cold skin.

The Queen, her icy blue gaze glanced at the faces of the Shadowhunters and the mundane's face. Her ancient voice finally spoke, "My knight Meliorn tells me that you know the information on who or what killed our child last night. Though a faerie child drained of blood, it seems no mystery to me. Can't your conclave even find out a single vampire who has killed my keen? For breaking the Law, the vampires involved in this treacherous act should be punished accordingly."

Allison spoke up. "We are certain vampires are not involved. I myself had seen the child's body and there is no evidence that a vampire would've attacked. The murderer might be throwing suspicion on the Night Children to clear off his tracks."

The Queen tilted her head towards Allison, her rosy red hair swayed like autumn leaves.
"And do you have proof Investigator Graymark?"

Allison tried to keep her voice calm. "The Silent Brothers, from the City of Bones, were slaughtered yet none were drained of blood. Though the Soul Sword, one of the mortal instruments was stolen by Valentine Morgenstern. You do know of Maelletarch, lady?"

"The one your kind uses to compel truth out of." The Queen replied. "Of course I do, and I don't see any relevance to the death of the child."

Jace, his voice now completely changed, said. "Valentine intends to effect a transformation on the Sword. For that, he needs the blood of downworlders, all four kinds. He already has the blood of fey now and also—"

"I don't see why I have to care." The Queen waved a perfect hand to emphasize. "We do have enemies far older than Valentine, though he's a current threat to the Nephilim. One of your own has turned against you," she arched an eyebrow. "The fey are done fighting your wars. Tell me a good reason why I should help you, a child of the mad man himself. Impress me."

Jace looked thrown and stared. Though Allison cut in smoothly, "Valentine Morgenstern has turned against the motives of us, the Shadowhunters. He believes to protect our world from demons, that the demon-blooded kind in the Shadow World must perish. It's an idea of a man much indulged in an odd patriotism, I agree. His generation believed the twisted ideas he implanted in them. Yet we are the children of a new age, with new beliefs and intentions. I, as a young Investigator and still new to the world, believe we can make a better world. A one where we can co-exist without any bloodshed." The Queen looked quite interested. "It can start with a big storm or with just a single raindrop. And it can start right here."

The whole impact of the Seelie Queen's gaze was on Allison. She was hard to look at, like a burning star. There was something in her gaze that made her unsettled.

"Fit as a granddaughter of the Inquisitor can be." The Queen remarked. "Young and strong in her beliefs. Intriguing."

She met the Queen's gaze without hesitation. 

"I have a question I need you to answer, Allison Graymark." The Queen leaned forward. "Would you place your trust in your friends here unwittingly without hesitation?"

A test, Allison thought. To see whether I was worthy of the Queen's consideration.

"I believe no one deserves a person's whole extent of trust." A half-smile adorned her lips. "That is only my opinion after all."