Chapter 13 - The Seelie Court

The Turtle Pond, in a word, was dirty. Moss and a variety of unidentifiable plants surrounded it. The surface of the water was still, rippled here and there as a few fishes swam and ducks drifted.

Allison made a beeline away from the ducks.

A wooden gazebo was fitted near the rim and Isabelle was perched on it. She was looking across the lake, and a few strands of her raven-black hair rippled against the breeze. She looked like a princess awaiting a dragon to kill.

"Izzy," said Jace, as they neared the pond, and she jumped up and spun around. Her smile was dazzling.

"Jace!" She flew at him and hugged him. That caused Allison to smile a bit. The Lightwoods and Jace were a tightly-knit group. It did make her wonder what it would be like to have a sibling of her own.

George was in every way her brother though she would prefer him as her parabatai. Though that was definitely out of question. And remembering it back at Magnus' apartment did make her heart contract.

But she shook her head. It was okay. George still worked alongside her and they had each other's back.

Allison looked around to see if there is some other danger. After those Eidolon demons came, trying to sabotage their visit to the Seelie court, Valentine must definitely know their moves. And she didn't want to have close calls.

"Do you know how we're supposed to get to the Court?" Clary asked. "I don't see any entrance lying around."

"If the entrance was lying around for the naked eyes," Allison looked around the park. "Anyone can enter it. Though the Fey would be happy to torment lost mundanes."

Simon raised his hand. "Live mundane right here."

"Perhaps we could use you as a human sacrifice if needed,"

Simon snorted. Even Clary managed a small smile.

Clary was distracted, her mind was definitely somewhere else. In hopes of cheering her up, "I heard you both are a couple."

That seemed to not do the intended. Though Simon perked up and grinned. "From a little birdie name George?"

"Little?" She questioned. "Have you seen that guy?"

George was indeed as tall as a fucking palm tree. Even a few inches taller than Alec, which always aggravates her.

Isabelle drifted over, Jace a pace behind her. She was wearing a long black dress with boots and an even longer cutaway coat of soft green velvet, the color of moss. "I can't believe you did it!" she exclaimed. "How did you get Magnus to let Jace leave?"

"Traded him for Alec," Clary said.

Isabelle looked mildly alarmed. "Not permanently?"

"No," said Jace. "Just for a few hours. Unless I don't come back," he added thoughtfully. "In which case, maybe he does get to keep Alec. Think of it as a lease with an option to buy."

Isabelle looked dubious. "Mom and Dad won't be pleased if they find out."

"That you freed a possible criminal by trading away your brother to a warlock who looks like a gay Sonic the Hedgehog and dresses like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?" Simon inquired. "No, probably not."

Allison chose to ignore that.

"Come on," Isabelle said. "The door is about to open."

"Where do we go?" Clary asked. "Where's the door?"

Isabelle's smile was like a whispered secret. "Follow me."

She moved down to the edge of the water, her boots leaving deep impressions in the wet mud. Allison followed ahead and was surprised about the fact that Isabelle could move so easily in a skirt. Only Allison's training made her walk down smoothly in a few hops.