chapter twelve - a walk in the gardens of Bridgerton House

Having excused themselves from the wedding reception, Benedict Bridgerton guided Miss Hayward toward the gardens so they might have a more private conversation.

He had been thinking over the past few days more seriously about the identity of the mysterious painter, and had come to some conclusions he wished to share.

Furthermore, he was beginning to reach some astounding conclusions regarding a rather different topic. Albeit, he was quite unsure of how to express these... feelings, he was still determined to at least try.

For Benedict Bridgerton was not one for subtlety.

They walked together through the gardens for some time, making sure to always stay within view of the window. He may have been a bit reckless but Benedict did not wish to tarnish the young girl’s reputation.

He had already seen an example of how that played out and, whilst he knew there were far worse people with whom he might be forced into matrimony, it wasn’t exactly how he was planning on getting hitched.

Finally, finding the silence too unbearable, he felt complied to speak.

“It is lovely weather today.”

‘D— it Ben,’ he thought to himself, ‘you could have found something better to talk about than the weather.’

But Eleanor, it would seem, was in a most obliging mood and heartily agreed with him.

They fell into silence once again.

“As much as I am enjoying experiencing the immense beauty of your family’s garden, I wonder if there might be another reason for your dragging me away from the reception. They were just about to serve the pudding after all.”

Benedict had to laugh at her comment. For everyone knew that Eleanor Hayward had quite an attachment to cake.

“You have been avoiding me, I think,” came his more solemn response. “I was not aware that I had done anything wrong so I thought it best to ask you; why?”

She blushed at the comment and turning slightly to admire the very pretty collection of yellow roses that had suddenly caught her eye.

“I do not know what you mean.”

Benedict, however, seemed in no mood for her avoidance of the question.

“Yes, I rather think you do. Have I done something? I know I’m a little boring and probably too eclectic for your more refined sensibility, but I should like to know your reasons why you suddenly no longer desire my company.”

Glancing up at his eyes, Eleanor found them filled with genuine hurt.

“I’m sorry if it seems that way. Only, I have been very busy recently and-“

“Oh! Spare me!” He scoffed, annoyance taking over. “If that is your best excuse then I do not wish to hear it.”

Driven by a surge of emotion at his response, Eleanor uttered out words she never thought she would find within herself to express.

“I have been avoiding you because of my own feelings! It has nothing to do with you or your behaviour, only that I cannot help but enjoy your company - rather too much I should think - and I know I should not confess that before you have made your own feelings clear, and now I am rambling and have said some very foolish things. Please excuse me. I am sure you can now understand why I was so reluctant to-“

She was deftly cut off from her waffling by a pair of warm arms encircling around her and drawing her into a tight embrace.

She felt initially stunned at the action and could not help but tense for a moment until she realised the Bridgerton’s intention.

He was hugging her!

Good lord!

She attempted to relax at the feeling but found herself unable to. It was not that she dead not comforted - no, indeed it was quite the opposite - but knowing it was the man whom she held such affection for sent her into a whirlwind of emotion.

Pressing her head against his chest she felt his heart beating steadily. It was oddly comforting.

“I am sorry that I told you of my feelings, sir,” she whispered into him.

“I am not,” he declared as he pulled her closer, prolonging the hug further. At this point Eleanor was quite certain it would be deemed improper but she did not care.

He was so warm.

“I am very glad you did. For I thought you disliked my company, but now it is quite clear that that is not the case. Indeed, rather the opposite.”

She blushed at his lack of subtlety. She blushed even mor when she felt him begin to play with the curls of her hair, running his fingers through her horrendously matted black Afro.

“Please do not dwell on what I said, I should not have done so - certainly not without having received any indication of you own -“

She was halted when Benedict placed a finger on her lips, requesting her silence.

“You seemed to have acquired a tendency to ramble today, Miss Hayward. Why don’t you listen for now instead?”

She nodded, her brown eyes wide as a doe.

“I have a proposal for you-“

“A what!” She could not help but interrupt. Benedict, however, looked down at her with a faux stern expression.

“What did I say? Listen. God you’re terrible at this aren’t you?” He paused and once he was certain she would not explode into chatted again, continued.

“My suggestion is this: your family and mine are close acquaintances and therefore they are likely one...” he started to trail off upon catching Eleanor’s gaze.

She could not help it, he looked so effervescent in the later afternoon light. It gave him a quality of radiance that suggested an eternal warmth. It made him beautiful.

Noticing she had been caught staring Eleanor chuckled, clearly embarrassed. And then it was Benedict’s turn to stare in awe.

An awe not dissimilar to that which he felt upon first viewing her all those weeks ago at Somerset House. Her genteel presence had hardly changed and the ethereal aura which she had become known for across London society was particularly present as her brown skin glowed under the summer sun.

It was quite clear to anyone who may have happened to pass by the windows overlooking the garden of Bridgerton House. That the pair were nothing less than infatuated with such other. Infatuated in a way that only young people from a wealthy background with all the time in the world can be.

Yes, infatuated.

And what an incredible infatuation it would be.

***

Dear readers,

Clearly an exciting and rather eventful chapter for our dear protagonists. I am thinking that I will spend some more time focusing on this book over the coming weeks now that it is up and running and I have an arch for the narrative.

On a more personal note. I cannot say I have been up to anything of particular interest. In fact. The most eventful act of my day so far has been absolutely thrashing my brother at fencing. Albeit he hasn’t fenced in a while but still, you can imagine I was quite proud.

We’ve also moved on to studying Grecian theatre in Greek which is very interesting and has proved to be a lovely beak from declensions. Yay for me!

Yours truly

Valentina R