chapter six - an official plan

“Eloise!” Called Benedict Bridgerton as he rushed into her bedroom where the girl was currently sat on her bed surrounded by an innumerable number of sheets of paper.

It was currently half past nine at night and the Bridgerton boy was pleasantly surprised to see that his sister was still awake - although ever since her increasing pursuit of Lady Whistledown she had taken to staying up later and later.

“Yes Benedict?” Came her response. She was so invested in the papers she was analysing that she didn’t even look up to greet him.

“I’ve developed a plan on how to uncover Waterstone.”

In two days time there was to be an unveiling of F. Waterstone’s latest piece at the National Gallery. In five days time another one of his artworks was going to be revealed for the first time in the British Library. And I’m exactly a week’s time two Waterstone pieces were going to be put on display at Hastings House.

It was Benedict’s intention that he visited each of these events and formed a list of who was present at each one - for surely the artist himself would not miss the opportunity to witness the ton’s initial response to his latest paintings.

He would then cross-reference the lists to discover which persons attended all three. For surely they are the more likely suspects. He doubted that very many members of London society would attend all of these events - especially considering that a ball was to be held on the same day of the unveiling at the British Library. Therefore, it should be easy to narrow down his suspects.

After collating such a list he would study each one attentively. He had no doubt that there would be some who he could easily cross off his list - either they were too you, too old, not intelligent enough.

He already had a pretty strong image of Waterstone in his mind and he was certain that as soon as he laid eyes on the painter, he would know it.

To Benedict Bridgerton, Waterstone was young, perhaps 20-21. He was a man (for despite Lady Hayward’s comment Benedict knew that these paintings had a man’s touch). And he was certainly someone of moderate rank within the ton. Yes, this was no serving boy. Waterstone was a highly educated (probably former Oxbridge student) young man who spent his time with the likes of Blake, Byron and Shelley.

Having recited all this to Eloise, Benedict asked for her thoughts on the matter.

“Are you certain he is a man? Perhaps he is your Miss Hayward. She is certainly very interested in art.” Came Eloise’s response. Her mind was still elsewhere among thoughts of Whistledown and that was the only useful thing she could think to say.

The Bridgerton boy simply laughed.

“Eleanor? No, definitely not. She loathes the poor man!”

Eloise only hummed in response.

“And she is not my Miss Hayward, no matter how much you and mother attempt to persuade me otherwise.”

Although Benedict’s declaration was a resolute one, he could not help but internally question it. He was no idiot when it came to such matters and was well aware of his growing affections for the girl.

‘Perhaps’ he thought, ‘if I can get her to become more involved in the search then she may become fonder of me and, by the end of our adventure, she may wish to extend the acquaintanceship’.

It was certainly an interesting thought. He would talk to Anthony about it soon to gather his thoughts on the matter. As much as the two occasionally disagreed, Benedict knew there was not one better to turn to when it came to matters of the heart.