chapter two - the Lucas' ball

Eleanor always enjoyed balls. She never thought she would have; sweaty men, tight corsets and crowded rooms didn’t initially appeal to her but after some time she had become quite fond of them.

Tonight, however, was different. Tonight she was determined to steer Benedict Bridgerton away from the growing interest that he appeared to be showing in F. Waterstone.

It was okay, she thought, for London society to be interested in the artist. Intrigued - yes. Inspired - perhaps. But Benedict seemed to be showing too much of an interest. If he were to uncover that the infamous and mysterious artist was not a man but in fact a woman, well, she would without doubt be made to stop.

And so Eleanor Hayward had chosen her finest gown and had her maid pin her hair in the most flattering of styles, even going so far as to wear her family’s diamond tiara.

Eleanor Hayward was determined to distract the Bridgerton and quell his fascinations.

When he saw her from across the room he was quite taken by her beauty. He was noticeable even in the dress she had been wearing at the gallery but now, dressed in her finest, she truly was magnificent.

“Would you like a dance before we get down to business?” Eleanor jested, pleased that he seemed enraptured by her. Though she wasn’t too happy about the longing gazes that came from several other young men.

“I don’t know. I’m afraid if my mother catches us dancing she’ll - well” he blushed slightly.

Eleanor was quick to cotton on, “I see. Best sneak out quickly then.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

*****

Eleanor and Benedict were now stood in the long gallery of paintings kept in Lucas House. They were not too far from the main hall and could still hear the string quartet playing.

“How about this one?”

The two had spent the past fifteen minutes wandering through the gallery attempting to decide which Waterstone piece to discuss first. Eleanor was hesitant to chose one herself, she didn’t want to seem too knowledgeable when it came to Waterstone paintings. She could already tell that Benedict was very perceptive.

She wandered over to where he was now stood admiring the work.

“I don’t mind this one. Hercules and the hydra if I’m not mistaken? I’d have made it more scaly personally.”

She felt pleased at the last comment, hoping it would help throw him off track.

“Waterstone must be very intelligent” remarked Benedict, “to have such a vast knowledge. He’s painted such a variety of topics and each one is so grounded in knowledge.”

Eleanor had to hide her smile at his kind words. To be thought of as intelligent was, to her, one of the greatest compliments.

“I think I must read a lot.” She looked up at the painting. In truth it had always been one of her favourite works and she hated how rarely it was shown to the rest of society.

“I think you must be right.”

Benedict held out his arm for Eleanor to take and the two wandered down the gallery in a comfortable silence, admiring the great works that had been hung up.

“I’ve never met a woman of your position with such an interest in art. It is refreshing.”

Eleanor tried to conceal her quickened heartbeat with a smile.

“Art is true beauty is it not? Although in truth I must protest your claim, I know of many women such as myself with a passion for art.”

‘That’ll throw him off the scent’ she thought.

“Anyway, I have a favour to ask.”

Benedict looked surprised and halted their steps, a small but noticeable smirk forming at the corners of his mouth.

“Ask away.”

“Your brother the Viscount is to marry Lady Grey.”

Benedict chuckled. “Well, he should be.”

“I thought they were a love match, yet you have now twice questioned their affections for each other?” Prodded Eleanor who was genuinely intrigued at what he was suggesting.

The Bridgerton’s eyes widened as he realised his mistake. “I only meant - we like to joke about their stubbornness, that is all. In truth they are very happy.”

‘Happy to murder each other on their wedding night’ thought Ben but was grateful he had managed to save the conversation.

Eleanor seemed - for now at least - to accept his answer.

“Perhaps you might introduce me to her? I hear she is very well read and funny too.”

Benedict nodded his head, “yes she is quite something. I can introduce you now if you’d like?”

“I’d love that!” Eleanor was genuine in her response, excited at meeting the girl she had heard so much about.

Fifteen minutes later they had finally made their way back to the main hall and were unfortunately just in time to witness a “lover’s quarrel” between the not so happy couple.

“No Bridgerton leave me alone!” Half yelled Aurora at the Viscount, both of whom had furious looks on their faces.

“Aurora it is one dance!” He responded in a similar tone. It was clear that the brawl had been going on for quite some time.

Benedict merely looked at Colin. They were both filled with mirth and it became clear to Eleanor that this was a very frequent experience.

“Do not call me that. You do not get to call me that.”

“That is your name, is it not? Aurora?”

At this point Aurora turned and stomped her way over to him until they were in shockingly close proximity.

“My friends call me Aurora but you are not my friend Bridgerton, so you can call me Lady Grey.”

Eleanor was becoming quickly aware of Aurora’s stubbornness. Thankfully Benedict intervened before any serious damage took place.

“Anthony!” He nearly had to shout to be heard.

“This is not over” declared Anthony before turning to Benedict, “Yes brother?”

“This is Lady Eleanor Hayward. She wanted to meet your fiancée.”

*****

Little bit of a filler but the action will get rolling soon I promise.

Anyone spot the overlap with TDOVB?