chapter four - luncheon

The day after the Lucas’ ball Eleanor was thrilled to escape the prospect of a formal luncheon with her parents. She had liked the Bridgerton’s very much - what she had seen of them anyway - and could not wait to get to know them better.

Furthermore, she had just completed her most recent work titled ‘a letter to death’ and had plans to have it exhibited in the National Gallery next week.

Her parents had not mentioned the topic of matrimony for nearly 12 whole hours. Yes. Today was indeed a most spectacular day.

Having arrived at Bridgerton house and been greeted by the entire pack, they had retreated into the main reception room where a vast array of foods lay.

The room had a similar pale blue hue that could be found in much of the house and Eleanor immediately found herself at home amongst the brood.

“Benedict has told me all about you Miss Hayward” remarked Eloise Bridgerton from the other side of the room.

Lady Bridgerton immediately chastised the girl for her forwardness.

“Eloise, do not be rude.” She turned to Eleanor with a kind smile. “My daughter likes to exaggerate, although Benedict did indeed tell us all about your meeting at Somerset House.”

The Viscount took the opportunity to chime in. He was already impressed with the girl’s uncanny ability to calm the disposition of his intended and hoped to form a good friendship with the girl for that reason alone.

“He says you have quite an observant eye when it comes to painting.”

Anthony sat down beside her on the chaise longe and stole a pink, sugary cake from the spread.

Benedict felt uncertain about his brother’s advancement on his new friend. He was glad that she was getting along so amicably with his family but Anthony’s interest in her made him... nervous?

In an attempt to remove Eleanor’s attention from his brother, Benedict plopped down on the other side of the Hayward girl and smiled up at her with his trademark wide grin.

“Benedict do not slouch” exclaimed his mother.

Violet would not deny that she had found Eleanor Hayward to be an absolute delight. And perfect for Benedict! She was determined to see the two married in the future and made a note to discuss the matter with Daphne.

As the conversation drifted off in various directions, Eleanor found herself engaged in a fascinating discussion regarding the elopement of two young debutante women. According to Anthony the two had ran off the France together and were living with and aunt or some such.

Eleanor found the conversation enthralling - scandal always did amuse her. She was pleasantly surprised at how accepting the two Bridgertons were about the idea of two women being in love. It did not seem to faze them at all to be honest.

The Viscount was now rambling on about some bizarre train of thought when Benedict nudged the Hayward girl gently. She turned to him and he lowered his head to whisper in her ear.

“Eloise says she’s going to help me in liver the identity of Waterstone. I told her you’d help too, if you want to of course?” He seemed very excited by the notion and Eleanor did her best to mirror his expression. She feared that he would say such a thing.

‘Perhaps helping the Bridgertons to uncover the scandal could be used to my advantage’ she thought. ‘I could drift them off track and keep an eye on their progress.’

Yes. She seemed quite content at the idea. That was she could be seen to be helping them whilst also maintaining her safety as an artist.

“I would like that very much, Mr Bridgerton.”

Benedict looked at her with his puppy eyes and she couldn’t help but chuckle. Excitement filled his expression and for some reason she felt inextricably happy to be the cause of it.

They held each other’s gaze for several moments before Anthony interrupted them.

“Lady Hayward I have a request to ask of you. I see it is quite late and I believe your carriage should be arriving soon. Perhaps I might escort you out and we can discuss the matter at hand?”

Benedict frowned at his brother’s behaviour. He was already engaged, why should he wish for. Moment alone with Eleanor? He earlier feeling of unease returned.

“Of course, my Lord. Perhaps I might say my goodbyes first?”

The Viscount smiled and looked a little relived.

“Absolutely. Take your time. I’ll be waiting outside.”

Upon saying farewell and promising to visit Bridgerton House again soon, Eleanor found Anthony stood waiting for her.

“Pray, what is it that you need my assistance with Viscount?”

He held out his arm to her and they started to walk slowly towards the front entrance.

“It is a matter of some delicacy and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t mention this to anyone else.” His tone had suddenly become most serious indeed and Eleanor felt uncertain.

“What is it that you ask of me?”

“Nothing too complicated” he chuckled  “you see, my intended - Aurora Grey - is not particularly fond of me. And I am sure that at least part of the blame is my own fault, however, I should like to get to know her better. Only I am not sure how to do so. I know very little about her you see , and we are rarely able to have any kind of conversation without it quickly descending into and argument.”

Eleanor frowned and looked at him curiously.

“Then why are you engaged to her! Surely, if you do not get along, it would be best to break the engagement?”

Anthony sighed in response

“I’m afraid that is not possible. The thing is that I saw the two of you at the Lucas ball and you got along rather well I thought. I was wondering if you like to become better acquainted with her and that you would consider telling me a bit more about her as you become closer. And if - so long as it isn’t too much to ask - you might ask her what she finds so displeasing about me. So that i may improve myself.”

Eleanor was shocked for two reasons. Firstly, by his request and secondly, by the look of pure love that was present in the way Anthony spoke about his intended. The Hayward girl had no doubt that he was completely bedsores by Aurora and could not help but oblige him in his request.

“I would be more than happy to help you, Anthony.” Was her response.

*****

I have to say I think the EleanorXAnthony friendship is really nice. Also, interesting to see what Benedict’s plan will be to uncover Waterstone?

What will his response be when he finds out the truth?