chapter ten - a dance with Francis

The prospect of dancing with Francis Blake had been something of a fright to Eleanor Hayward, considering her affections for him. However, he proved to be entirely amiable and very good conversation indeed. It did not take long for the two to feel at ease in each other’s company.

“Are you having a pleasant evening, my Lady?” Inquired Francis.

“Oh please, do not bother with the formalities sir, I find genuine conversations much more interesting,” responded the girl, taking pains not to tread on his feet. She was by no means a bad dancer, but the quadrille had always proved something of a challenge to her.

“How intriguing, you are most peculiar Miss Hayward. Pray tell me, what would you rather discuss?”

She pondered his question for a moment before catching Lady Featherington’s appalling excuse of a gown.

“Oh I have an idea. Tell me, sir, are you acquainted with Lady Featherington?” Her voice was shrouded in humour.

“I doubt there is anyone in London society who is not acquainted with that particular family,” he spun her quickly and Eleanor had to stop herself from falling over. In truth, she could not believe how nervous she had been. Francis Blake was an absolute angel. He suddenly caught sight of the woman in question and his face paled significantly. “Goodness, she looks like a peacock! No wonder you had such difficulties trying to hide your mirth.”

Perhaps she had spoken too soon.

“I see you are not quite the perfect bachelor you present yourself to be, my Lord. Clearly you have some very strong opinions indeed.”

“Yes, but do not tell anyone that. You see, for as long as I am viewed as a good natured young gentleman, I am privy to all kinds of gossip. And I’d rather not loose that honour for it is really quite enjoyable to hear first hand of the ton’s scandalous affairs.”

Eleanor giggled, “then I will not say a word sir, so long as you promise to share at least some of your findings with me.”

“Very well. But first, I have a question for you.”

“Really?”

He hummed in response and spun her three times before voicing his question as he locked eyes with Benedict Bridgerton

“I wonder, Miss Hayward, have you noticed the poor man who has been gazing after you all evening?”

Eleanor chuckled at the prospect, “Indeed, whoever he is, he must have very great ill-fortune to be interested in me.”

Their conversation was broken for a brief time as they switched partners, however Francis Blake was most than happy to continue upon their return to each other.

“You are too harsh, my Lady! Surely to you have some god qualities? After all, you have only trodden on my feet three times so far this evening and that is a true sign of accomplishment.”

An illicit gasp escaped her at his teasing.

“Do not tease me sir! You must tell me who this man is!” She was desperate to know, the prospect of someone being romantically interested in her was enthralling - and rather rare. Or so she thought.

“That would be most unfair on the gentleman concerned. No, I am quite resolute to keep it my own little secret. I’m sure it’ll provide me with much entertainment.” Francis could not help the smirk that made its way onto his face as he spoke.

“Francis Blake you are a demon!”

Eleanor would have continued her list of - not very crude - expletives were it not for the appearance of a certain Bridgerton.

“Might I steal Eleanor for a moment?” The man asked as he loomed over the pair.

“Anthony! It’s been far too long, cousin. How have you been?” His voice was coated with excitement at reuniting with the Viscount.

“Not too bad, thank you.”

“I hear you are to be married?”

“Yes, in three days time. Between you and me I am not much looking forward to the whole affair but I suppose it cannot be helped. Besides, I’m not sure mother would appreciate it if I backed out now.”

At the Bridgerton’s comment Eleanor briefly caught the eye of the Blake boy. He did not need to say anything

He did not say a word - nor did he need to for his eyes said plenty.

There Miss Hayward, now you have seen first-hand my talent for uncovering secrets.

She had to stifle a snort.

“Enough about my dire situation, how is...” the Viscount trailed off, unsure about whether or not to say his cousin’s name in public.

“My brother is well, thank you. He seemed to be rather enjoying his exile actually. Teddy always did prefer the continent you see”

An awkward silence ensued.

“I actually wanted to ask the Lady Hayward to dance - though not with me. My brother, you see, well he has not said it himself however,I do believe he wishes to make you his partner.”

Eleanor glanced between the two men. Surely Francis could not have meant Benedict Bridgerton! No, it was a impossible?

She gaped at him for some time before draining to answer his question.

“Sure, why not?” Came her rather colloquial response. The Viscount stared at her like she had grown a second head. “That wasn’t a very ladylike response was it?