2

Shock. Idiocy, maybe even love. None of it made sense as I felt peacekeepers forcefully ripping my sisters arms from around my shoulders.

So now I'm literally in her place. The walking talking rainbow puts something to my mouth. And all that comes out is a croaked. "I'm the oldest".

Not, I'm her sister. Not, I love her. Not anything else was said. And I realised why she winked at me before skipping out to the male bowl. It's such a career  thing to say. Like, it's my right to go before her. But that's not what I meant, I meant it's my responsibility to die before her because she hasn't had that extra twelve months of life that I have. Not, I'm angry she'd get the glory of winning before myself. 

I tried to find the sea. But I know it's behind me, instead I'm forced to look at Annie's heaving form while my parents are openly crying. Great. I'm what one would call an 'empathetic crier". If I see someone crying I automatically join them, even before I know the reason. So, to not seem weaker than I already do, I force myself to stare at Tippy. 

Her hands have just plucked the male's name from the bowl. She skips again towards the microphone and it's like the whole district holds it breath. 

"Rick Tike".

And with one name everyone exhaled. Some even cheered. Rick, was well known in the district. Rich, strong and...exceptionally good looking. We don't have much to offer in District Four but we're nicknamed the 'pretty' district for a reason. The reason we're able to get the most expensive sponsors isn't because they like our seafood, it's because they like to 'look' at us. Oh, and did I mention he's eighteen and probably the best the academy has to offer?...

I tusked, almost in slight defeat. I can't kill someone like him. It doesn't help we're the same age.  I bet they're going to compare him to Finnick every chance they get in the Capitol. After all, they're what?, second cousins. Finnick always said he hated him growing up, but who knows? I know if a relative was in the games I'd do everything I could to get them out. Probably put them above an ex-best friend that disgusted me to look at. I also know, that Finnick doesn't have much family left and that Rick is pretty much all he's got now. Go figure.

Rick smirked, one that matched Finnick's and walked confidently up the stage. He gave a macho style nod and we all waited for volunteers, no one did. Who would?, he's the best and a relative of the youngest ever Victor. Not that many know that, I bet it'll be subtly dropped in his interview though. 

Tippy giggled. "Well, District Four what strong tributes we have this year. Alrighty, shake hands you two".

I took a deep breath and faced Rick. His face was charming but when his eyes met mine there was a vulnerability in them. It was in that moment when I felt his hand grip mine that I realised he was just as scared as me. My hand was so sweaty by the time I let go and I swallowed out at the crowd.

One thought left my mind,

I'm not going to win.

We were both dragged into seperate rooms of our justice building. Lavish velvet chairs and an expensive looking oak desk in one corner. A vase on top of it with a single white rose. I felt my head tip to the side in confusion. The rose seemed so out of place, even in a room as nice as this. District four has a few plants but you'd never find a rose around he-

"Coral!".

I was immediately engulfed by a cloud of red hair identical to my own. She smelled of salt and coconut. I felt myself instantly inhaling, I might never smell it again. She released me and her hand held mine like a life line despite it being sweaty which would normally repulse her. She sniffed, her eyes filled with tears. I immediately felt my eyes tear up on instinct. She shuddered. "I-I didn't m-mean..". She released a sob and I bit my lip and held her close again. I sighed into her hair. "Hey, shhh it's okay. I know, and I-I love you".

She sniffed and I felt her arms tighten in me. "I love you too.".

Her head suddenly went to my ear, as if to avoid being heard by our parents who were clinging to eachother desperately behind us. "You have to listen to him. Finnick. I know he'll help you but y-you have to try".

She broke the hug and stared me down as if to drive it home. I bit my lip and nodded. After Annie, it was heartfelt goodbye from my parents. I could see it in their faces that they don't think I'll make it back home. 

I only got five minutes, after that I waited. I stuck close to only my sister after Finnick broke my heart and threw my friendship away. So it didn't surprise me that no one else came. 

Rick and I then joined Tippy to be 'escorted' to the station. The district seemed proud to have not only Rick but myself as well to represent them. I tried to figure out why until I remembered I volunteered and didn't specify it was for my sister. 

Once we entered the train, I felt my jaw drop. I thought our justice building was lavish but, this puts it to shame. Tippy muttered something about dinner with Mags and Finnick. It hardly registered. I was too busy appreciating the sparkling chandelier. 

She huffed at the pair of us and left the cart, leaving just Rick and I. 

Rick looked angry before he gave me a somewhat scared look. He sighed down at me. "So, what do you suppose he did?".

I felt my head tip in confusion. I bit my lip. "What?".

Rick rolled his eyes and scoffed more in frustration than my general lack of knowledge. "Finnick. It's no coincidence it's you and me reaped in our last year. You think he finally told them no?"

I creased my eyebrows in more confusion. "No to what?".

Rick's mouth opened and closed before he decided to speak. "No to all th-"

A cough broke our conversation and we both snapped our heads up to District Four's oldest mentor.

Mags.